Alabama Offers Scholarship to Gilmer’s Kris Boyd
Kris Boyd picked up a big offer Thursday.
Alabama became the 11th school to offer the Gilmer athlete and joins a mix of some very high-profile teams, including defending national champion Florida State.
Boyd announced the news via his Twitter account and seems very intrigued by the offer.
"Just received one of my biggest offers! Alabama! A trip I will be taking for sure!," Boyd wrote.
Boyd joins Newton defensive back Roney Elam as an East Texas holder of Crimson Tide interest. Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack also has an Alabama offer, but he seems solid with his verbal commitment to Texas A&M.
The Gilmer athlete is a rising senior and has led the Buckeyes in rushing each of the last two seasons. He will likely play cornerback in college.
Boyd finished the 2013 season with 1,191 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns on the ground, averaging 10.5 yards per carry. He was also dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield, grabbing 22 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns. Defensively, he collected 26 tackles, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
Alabama hardly needs an introduction. It spent most of last season in the national championship hunt before falling to Auburn as time expired on a missed potentially game-winning field goal and the Tigers' subsequent touchdown return.
The Crimson Tide claim 15 national championships out of a possible 19 awarded to the program and have three titles under current head coach Nick Saban, the 2009, 2011 and 2012 titles.
Alabama has a lot of SEC competition for Boyd. Arkansas, Mississippi State and Missouri also have extended scholarship opportunities to him.
Boyd has non-SEC offers from Baylor, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and California in addition to his invitation from Florida State.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – offer from North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (11)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, Rice, UTSA (3)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (35)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Memphis, Nevada, UTSA (3)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy (1)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)