Alto, San Augustine Set for De Facto District 10-A D-I Championship
No. 8 Alto Yellow Jackets (7-1, 3-0)
San Augustine Wolves (6-2, 3-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Wolf Stadium, San Augustine
Alto: Keith Gardner
San Augustine: Donald Hubbard
Alto: def. Grapeland, 36-12
San Augustine: def. Pineland West Sabine, 20-8
Alto: vs. Shelbyville
San Augustine: at Cushing
- QB Jacolby Whitaker, Jr., 5-11, 185
- LB Michael Taylor, Sr., 6-1, 220
- LB Logan Smith, Jr., 5-10, 160
- DE Ja’Vonte Mumphrey, Soph., 6-2, 190
- ATH Anfernee Black, Jr., 6-1, 180
- OL Tanner Jones, Sr., 6-1, 260
- OL Kaleb Chapman, Sr., 6-2, 265
- RB Tony Hubbard, Sr., 5-10, 180 (183 carries, 1,255 yards, 21 TDs)
- ATH T’Aundra Taylor, Sr., 5-10, 178 (68 carries, 514 yards, 4 TDs; 23 catches, 308 yards, 3 TDs)
- QB Bobby Tanner, Sr., 5-11, 165 (62 of 124, 916 yards, 8 TDs, 6 INTs; 61 carries, 373 yards, 5 TDs)
- WR Al Horton, Sr., 5-9, 130 (21 catches, 343 yards, 3 TDs)
- WR Dez Randle (14 catches, 240 yards, 2 TDs)
- LB Jarvis Giles, Sr., 5-9, 175 (86 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery)
- LB Xavier Brown, Sr., 5-10, 165 (100 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 recoveries, 1 punt block)
- LB Jeremy Jenkins, Soph. (75 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 recovery)
- OL Jake Davis, Sr., 6-3, 285
- OL Jarvis Payne, Jr., 6-2, 275
Just the facts
- Alto averages 36.5 points per game and yields 17.5.
- San Augustine averages 34.5 points per game and allows 20.0.
- Alto has won six consecutive games.
- San Augustine has won five consecutive games.
- Alto's average victory margin during its six-game winning streak is 24.8 points.
- San Augustine's average victory margin during its five-game winning streak is 25.6 points.
- San Augustine averages 7.1 yards per carry as a team.
Key matchup: San Augustine's running game vs. Alto's defensive front. San Augustine has rolled up some impressive rushing stats. The Wolves have gained 2,374 rushing yards this season, an average of 296.8 per game. Tony Hubbard has been the go-to guy with almost 160 yards per game. But he's not the only weapon. Quarterback Bobby Tanner and versatile athlete Ty'Aundra Taylor average a combined 110.9 yards, and that's not taking into account the damage that duo can do through the air. Tanner and Taylor give San Augustine's offense good balance thanks to a solid passing game, which Al Horton and Dez Randle have aided as well. But it all starts on the ground, where Hubbard and a large San Augustine offensive line have dictated play in the Wolves' last five games. Alto linebacker Michael Taylor and the rest of the Yellow Jackets' front seven must be prepared to contain the Wolves' potent rushing attack.
Don't be surprised if: This is one of the best regular-season Class A games in East Texas this season. Also, don't be surprised if this game serves as an excellent playoff tuneup for both teams. A winning streak has to die Friday night at Wolf Stadium, but the loser can take away a lot in a game like this considering that regardless of which team that is, there's no shame in losing this one. Jacolby Whitaker presents a challenge for the San Augustine defense, but as mentioned above, the Wolves' running game -- and complementary passing attack -- has been really tough for opponents to stop during the last month. Both teams will be tough to beat next month when they're forced to survive and advance every week, and that's exactly the atmosphere fans can expect Friday night in San Augustine.