Arkansas Offers Gilmer Junior Kris Boyd
A day after receiving his fifth Big 12 Conference offer, Gilmer’s Kris Boyd got his first offer from the SEC.
Arkansas offered the junior standout Thursday night. The Hogs join Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, and Texas Tech on Boyd’s offer list. Boyd tweeted the news shortly after InsideTexas.com reported it.
Baylor offered Boyd on Wednesday night.
Boyd is the third East Texan in the 2015 class with an Arkansas offer. Texas A&M-committed Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor also hold Arkansas offers.
Arkansas has had recent success recruiting East Texas in the form of Newton’s D.J. Dean, who signed with the Razorbacks last February and has played extensively as a true freshman cornerback this fall. Spring Hill product and sophomore tight end Alex Voelzke earned a scholarship at Arkansas after arriving in Fayetteville as a walk-on tight end. Longview’s Eric Hawkins is a redshirt freshman receiver at Arkansas, while sophomore defensive end Darrell Kelly-Thomas (Lufkin) and freshman receiver Harold Stoker (Texas High) give the Hogs more East Texas representation.
Boyd has led Gilmer in rushing each of the last two seasons, amassing 2,467 rushing yards, 3,026 yards from scrimmage, and 44 total touchdowns.
He finished the 2013 season with 1,191 yards and 19 touchdowns on 113 carries, along with 22 catches for 333 yards and four scores. Defensively, Boyd recorded 29 tackles, a team-leading three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, and two pass breakups.
As a sophomore, Boyd ran for 1,276 yards and 19 touchdowns on 161 carries while catching 20 passes for 226 yards and two scores. He added 18 tackles, one forced fumble, and three pass breakups from his spot in the secondary.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (6)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — offers from Baylor, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (9)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 — offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (6)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 — committed to Texas A&M; offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (16)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (8)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)