Arkansas State Becomes Latest To Offer John Tyler’s Javontavius Mosley + Bryson Smith
Defensive back Javontavius Mosley and quarterback Bryson Smith had no shortage of opportunities to play together at the next level, but an eighth school hoping to land both players entered the mix Wednesday.
First announced by John Tyler head coach Ricklan Holmes through his Twitter account, Arkansas State is the latest school to grant the two players standalone college football scholarship invitations. Yet it hopes to reel both players into its 2017 signing class.
The Red Wolves' offer pushed Smith into a tie for second among junior East Texas players in terms of sheer options with Bullard tight end Major Tennison. Those two only trail Hooks athlete Montrell Estell and his 12 offers.
Mosley now has a total of eight choices. All are from schools also interested in Smith.
More schools could enter the picture in the near future. Kansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, Sam Houston State, Texas, Texas-Permian Basin, Texas Tech and UTSA have visited John Tyler in recent days.
Arkansas State made its fifth straight bowl game appearance to conclude the 2015 season, a 47-28 loss to Louisiana Tech in the New Orleans Bowl, following a 9-3 regular season. It won the Sun Belt Conference championship in the process with a perfect 8-0 league record.
Head coach Blake Anderson will remain in Jonesboro, Ark., for a third consecutive year and gives the program some stability. Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin all led the Red Wolves earlier in the decade before taking other jobs.
Anderson and company also are actively recruiting Gilmer receiver LaMarcus Morton from within the region.
Mosley and Smith alongside John Tyler receiver Damion Miller — a Texas verbal commitment — will be key pieces of the 2016 squad before departing to the collegiate game.
John Tyler lost 13 players to all levels of college football following the past season and a trip to the Class 5A Division I area round of the state playoffs. Many of those athletes also helped the 2014 team to the Class 5A Division I state semifinals.
More than that, John Tyler is transitioning away from Class 5A to Class 6A.
Mosley recorded 60 tackles, two interceptions, broke up 12 passes and recovered a fumble in the team’s most recent season.
Smith threw for 2,416 yards and 20 touchdowns to six interceptions last year while simultaneously leading the team with 1,421 rushing yards and 21 scores. He started as a receiver his sophomore year.
Mosley and Smith, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers them in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, Tulsa (8)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, SMU, Tulane, ULL (5)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (5)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (11)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (11)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, UTSA (6)