Arkansas State Gives Daingerfield’s Denzel Mims Second Offer In As Many Days
Daingerfield receiver Denzel Mims picked up his second Division I FBS offer in as many days when the Tigers' 2016 prospect received a scholarship opportunity from Arkansas State, Mims told ETSN.fm on Tuesday night.
Mims (6-4, 180) received the first of his two offers Monday from Texas Tech, and became the sixth East Texas prospect in the 2016 class to receive an offer from Arkansas State.
The Red Wolves also have offers out to Mineola offensive linemen and Texas A&M pledges Austin and Riley Anderson, Liberty-Eylau QB/ATH Ke'Mon Freeman, Frankston receiver Kendrick Rogers, and Liberty-Eylau defensive back Andre Wiley, Jr.
Arkansas State, which is coached by Blake Anderson, competes in the Sun Belt Conference, and is coming off a 7-6 campaign in 2014, which ended with a 63-44 loss to Toledo in the Godaddy Bowl on Jan. 4.
Mims is fresh off a gold-medal winning performance in the Class 3A 200 meter dash last weekend in Austin. His time of 21.30 bested his closest competitor by 11-hundredths of a second. When his 6-foot-4 frame is added to the equation, Mims’ upside becomes the major narrative for college recruiters.
Daingerfield experienced an uncharacteristically disappointing season on the football field last year. The Tigers, who won three consecutive state championships from 2008-10 and played for another in 2012, stumbled to a 1-9 finish in 2014 — their worst season since 1964.
Mims finished his junior season with 39 catches for 682 yards and six touchdowns. Defensively, he made 24 tackles with four interceptions and two defensive touchdowns.
Daingerfield opens the 2015 season Aug. 28 at home against Gladewater.
Mims, like all 2016 prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that awards him a scholarship opportunity on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas Tech (2)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (10)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy (4)