Canton QB Chandler Eiland Receives Scholarship Opportunity From ULM
Canton quarterback Chandler Eiland can officially be considered a standout quarterback prospect.
Consider most colleges only take one player they consider a next level signal caller in a single year, there are only 125 FBS schools entering the 2014 season, and many of the schools are currently chasing the same players.
Count Eiland (6-1, 186) in the mix. Louisiana-Monroe reached out to the Eagles' offensive standout Thursday and also offered Canton defensive end and tight end Samuel Miller the same day.
Eiland confirmed the news through his Twitter account.
The quarterback, a confirmed ETSN + APEC Football Recruiting Combine participant on June 1, passed for 1,861 yards and 18 touchdowns to just two interceptions as a junior last season and rushed for quite a few more yards. He will be a third-year starter at Canton this season.
There's a lot to like about Eiland, starting with his flexible arm.
He can deliver the ball from multiple points in his downward throwing motion. That means he can pass the ball around oncoming defenders and connect with receivers downfield without losing much velocity or touch from the ideal release point.
Eiland also is a capable runner with a touchdown run of 83 yards last season and several highlight reel throws after maneuvering around a collapsing pocket.
ULM's signature is it's not afraid to play higher competition.
It defeated Wake Forest last season, gave Oklahoma some early problems and had the moxie to follow through with its home-and-home series against Baylor.
The Warhawks will play Wake Forest, LSU, Kentucky and Texas A&M this upcoming season and are slated to visit Alabama and Georgia in 2015.
ULM ranked 58th in passing offense last season despite losing star quarterback Kolton Browning for a month.
Browning signed with the Dallas Cowboys earlier in the week.
Eiland will have until Feb. 4, 2015 to field more offers and pick a school.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (13)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-1, 186 -- Offer from ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, UTSA (4)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, ULM, UTSA (6)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo (3)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)