Canton’s Chandler Eiland the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week
Consider Canton Eagles junior quarterback Chandler Eiland making up for lost time.
Eiland, who missed three games early in the season to injury, has rallied his team to three wins in four games and has them on the doorstep of another postseason berth.
His performance in last Friday night's 49-35 win over Mineola, earned Eiland ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week honors. The Canton signal-caller accounted for 519 yards of offense and all seven touchdowns in the Eagles' victory.
Eiland completed 17 of 23 passes for 440 yards and four touchdowns, while adding 79 yards and two touchdowns on 13 rushing attempts. Receivers Garrett Denbow and Ryan Slider were the primary beneficiaries. Denbow caught five passes for 133 yards and two touchdowns, while Slider hauled in four catches for 145 yards and the other two scoring receptions.
The return of Eiland has rejuvenated the Canton offense. In the three games without him, Canton went 0-3 and scored a total of 20 points. Since his return, the Eagles are averaging 39.8 points per game.
Eiland and Canton (3-5, 2-1 in District 15-3A) travel to Brownsboro (2-6, 0-3) on Friday night. An Eagles win would almost assuredly sew up a playoff spot.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen 2013 Offensive Players of the Week
- Week 8 -- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton
- Week 7 -- JaMikel Roberts, QB, San Augustine
- Week 6 -- Willy Ivery, RB, Sulphur Springs
- Week 5 -- James Reese, RB, Gladewater
- Week 4 -- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Whitehouse
- Week 3 -- Andrew Black, QB, Chapel Hill
- Week 2 -- Cullen Grubbs, QB, Mount Pleasant
- Week 1 -- Blake Bogenschutz, QB, Carthage
- Zero Week -- Dalvin Manns, QB, Pine Tree