Canton’s Samuel Miller Has New Offers From ULM and Oregon State
Samuel Miller's recruitment reached new milestones Thursday with offers from Louisiana-Monroe and Oregon State.
The Canton defensive end and tight end now has six total FBS scholarship opportunities on the heels of receiving an offer from North Texas on Wednesday and other standing invitations from Memphis, Nevada and UTSA.
Miller received the good news from ULM in the afternoon before Oregon State officially reached out.
ULM and Oregon State are both newcomers to East Texas' expanding Class of 2015, which now features 23 players with FBS offers.
Canton quarterback Chandler Eiland became the region's latest rising senior to receive an FBS offer. The opportunity came from ULM.
The Warhawks have been making noise in the Sun Belt Conference in recent years and finished the 2013 season 6-6, including a win against Wake Forest on the road.
On top of offering Eiland, an advantage ULM holds is its desire to play the big boys of college football. The Warhawks are scheduled to play Wake Forest, LSU, Kentucky and Texas A&M this season and squared off with Oklahoma and Baylor last year.
ULM also is slated to pay visits to Alabama and Georgia in 2015.
Oregon State is Miller's first scholarship opportunity from a power conference school. The university plays in the Pac-12 and capped off a 7-6 2013 campaign with a win against Boise State in the Hawaii Bowl.
The Beavers ranked 30th in total defense last season as well as 26th in total offense.
Miller had a strong junior season for Canton, finishing 2013 with 89 tackles, 26 of the tackles for loss, as well as four sacks and three forced fumbles. His play helped spur Canton to recover from an 0-4 start and reach the postseason.
Canton will compete in the new District 5-4A Division II this fall along with Bullard, Emory Rains, Gilmer, Melissa and Nevada Community.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (13)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-1, 186 -- Offer from ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, UTSA (4)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, ULM, UTSA (6)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo (3)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)