Canton’s Samuel Miller Offered by Arkansas State
Samuel Miller's offer list grew to nine teams Tuesday with a scholarship opportunity from Arkansas State.
The Canton defensive end announced the news via his Twitter account on Wednesday.
Arkansas State knows East Texas very well. It has other offers out to regional seniors in Nacogdoches' cornerback Jaylon Lane, Longview offensive lineman Broderick Washington and Lufkin offensive lineman Eric McCoy.
Lane is committed to Oklahoma State, but Washington and McCoy's recruiting processes are still open.
The Red Wolves compete in the Sun Belt Conference along with several other regional schools. Among those are Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe and Texas State. Troy and Western Kentucky also are formidable opponents with a history of success.
Arkansas State has drawn a lot of attention in recent years. For starters, it will play midweek games for national TV audiences.
The school has been a great place for head coaches. Its past three coaches have spent one season in Jonesboro, Ark., and moved on to other jobs, including Auburn's Gus Malzahn.
While coaching turmoil usually slows a program down, the Red Wolves have made three consecutive bowl games.
Arkansas State's fourth head coach in a four-year period is Blake Anderson. He was most recently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at North Carolina.
Anderson has quite a bit of Texas exposure. He played college football at Baylor and Sam Houston State and then spent four of his first seven years as an assistant at Trinity Valley Community College.
As a junior, Miller shined on the defensive side of the ball with 89 tackles, 26 of the tackles for loss, as well as four sacks and three forced fumbles. His play helped spur Canton to recover from an 0-4 start and reach the postseason.
He doubles as a tight end at the Eagles.
Canton will compete in the new District 5-4A Division II this fall along with Bullard, Emory Rains, Gilmer, Melissa and Nevada Community.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-9, 167 – offer from Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — offer from ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa (4)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-1, 186 – offer from ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (6)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 -- offer from UTSA (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (6)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo, Tulsa, ULM (5)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)