Chapel Hill’s Wesley Thompson Commits to ULM
One of East Texas' most versatile athletes on the football field committed Monday night.
Chapel Hill two-way senior standout Wesley Thompson pledged to ULM, he announced via Twitter. ULM recently became his first Division I FBS offer.
The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Thompson has performed well at running back and outside linebacker this season for the Bulldogs, who are 7-4 entering Friday's 7:30 p.m. Class 3A Division I Region II area playoff against Crandall at Royse City ISD Stadium. Thompson said that ULM has considered him at running back or safety.
Thompson leads Chapel Hill in tackles (104) and tackles for loss (10) and also has one sack and one forced fumble. Offensively, Thompson has 92 carries for 775 yards and 10 touchdowns. He's second on the team in all three categories.
Thompson ran eight times for 68 yards, plus 14 tackles in Chapel Hill's 52-26 first-round win against previously unbeaten Athens.
Thompson has been a key cog for Chapel Hill for three years now. He recovered the fourth-quarter fumble that sealed the Bulldogs' 20-19 win against Alvarado in the 2011 Class 3A D-I state championship game as a sophomore, then finished his junior season in 2012 with 94 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions, 221 rushing yards, and two rushing touchdowns.
ULM has offered 10 East Texans in the 2014 class. Thompson joins Palestine offensive lineman Brian Thlang as the region's two Warhawk commits in the class.
Thompson assembled an impressive performance in May at the ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine at APEC training facility. He won the linebackers MVP award after clocking a laser-timed 4.49-second 40-yard dash, in addition to one of the event's top broad jumps (10 feet, 2 inches), a 37.1-inch vertical jump, and a 4.19-second pro agility time. Those were first among the 12 linebackers at the combine, which featured 100 players from across the region.
Thompson is the second player in Chapel Hill's 2014 class to commit to an FBS program. Running back/linebacker Joseph Clark, who will play in the secondary in college, is committed to Texas Tech. Defensive lineman Keith Minor holds an offer from Cincinnati.
-- For a full list of ULM's 2014 East Texas offers, plus a breakdown of 2014 East Texans with at least one D-I FBS offer, scroll below this photo.
East Texans With ULM Offers
- Jacob Bragg, C, Nacogdoches, 6-4, 311 — committed to Kansas
- Terian “Tee” Goree, WR, Carthage, 6-2, 170 — nine offers
- Ben Luckett, RB, Palestine, 6-0, 195 — one offer
- Jarrell Owens, LB/DE, Palestine, 6-3, 230 — committed to TCU
- O’Keeron Rutherford, WR, Carthage, 6-5, 181 — two offers
- Anthony Sanders, ATH, Athens, 5-11, 185 — one offer
- Kevin Shorter, RB/ATH, Newton, 6-0, 190 — committed to Texas
- Brian Thlang, OL, Palestine, 6-2, 290 — committed to ULM
- Wesley Thompson, ATH, Chapel Hill, 6-1, 185 — committed to ULM
- Jeffery Wilson, RB, Elkhart, 6-0, 195 — four offers
2014 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Terry Ausborne, S, John Tyler, 5-10, 175 -- offer from SMU (1)
- Blake Bogenschutz, QB, Carthage, 6-1, 175 -- committed to UTSA (1)
- Jacob Bragg, OL, Nacogdoches, 6-4, 310 -- committed to Kansas; additional offers from Louisiana Tech, Oregon State, ULM (4)
- K.D. Cannon, WR, Mount Pleasant, 6-0, 160 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arizona, Clemson, Florida State, Houston, Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia (21)
- Caleb Chumley, QB/ATH, Pine Tree, 6-5, 220 -- offers from Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Missouri, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State (9)
- Joseph Clark, RB/S, Chapel Hill, 5-9, 175 -- committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Air Force, Navy, Texas State (4)
- Kade Clayton, ATH, Tyler Grace, 6-0, 180 — offers from SMU, Texas State (2)
- Terrell Cuney, C, Jasper, 6-3, 260 — committed to Texas; additional offers from TCU, Texas Tech (3)
- Devondrick Dixon, ATH, Gilmer, 5-9, 180 -- committed to Texas State (1)
- Adrian Goodacre, OL, Carthage, 6-4, 310 -- committed to ULL; additional offer from Houston (2)
- Terian "Tee" Goree, WR, Carthage, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Colorado, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, North Texas, San Diego State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Davion Hall, ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 6-2, 191 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, SMU, Stanford, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Zaycoven Henderson, DT, Longview, 6-1, 293 — offers from Baylor, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, South Carolina, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington, Washington State (18)
- Travin Howard, S, Longview, 6-0, 178 -- offer from UTSA (1)
- Willy Ivery, ATH, Sulphur Springs, 5-8, 180 -- offers from Colorado State, New Mexico, North Texas, Texas State, Toledo (5)
- Jamal Jeffery, WR, Lufkin, 5-9, 165 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Chris Jefferson, ATH, Athens, 6-2, 200 -- committed to SMU (1)
- Jawuan Johnson, DB, New Boston, 6-0, 195 -- committed to Northern Illinois (1)
- Dorian Leonard, WR, Longview, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas; offers from Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, San Diego State, Texas Tech (6)
- Reggie Long, LB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 218 -- offers from Army, New Mexico State (2)
- Ben Luckett, RB, Palestine, 6-0, 195 -- offer from ULM (1)
- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Whitehouse, 6-3, 203 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Houston, North Texas, Rice (4)
- Stephan Maxey, DB, Longview, 5-11, 185 -- offer from UTSA (1)
- Keith Minor, DL, Chapel Hill, 6-3, 237 -- offer from Cincinnati (1)
- Jarrell Owens, LB/DE, Palestine, 6-3, 230 -- committed to TCU; additional offers from Texas State, Texas Tech, ULM (4)
- Greg Roberts, DE, Nacogdoches, 6-5, 200 -- committed to Baylor (1)
- Anthony Rhone, LB, Texas High, 6-0, 210 -- committed to SMU (1)
- O'Keeron Rutherford, WR, Carthage, 6-5, 181 -- offer from North Texas, ULM (2)
- Anthony Sanders, ATH, Athens, 5-11, 185 -- offer from ULM (1)
- Kevin Shorter, RB/S, Newton, 6-0, 190 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Army, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Kansas, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, San Diego State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULM, Utah (22)
- Brian Thlang, OL, Palestine, 6-2, 290 -- committed ULM (1)
- Wesley Thompson, ATH, Chapel Hill, 6-1, 185 -- committed to ULM (1)
- Josh Walker, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-1, 220 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (4)
- D.J. Williams, DT, Lufkin, 6-4, 293 -- offers from Houston, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma (5)
- Jeffery Wilson, RB, Elkhart, 6-0, 190 -- offers from New Mexico State, North Texas, Texas State, ULM (4)