Clemson + Miami Pursue Gladewater’s Daylon Mack
Most of the recent talk surrounding Gladewater 2015 defensive tackle Daylon Mack's recruiting process has centered on Texas A&M, but two ACC schools have joined the fray and have Mack's attention.
Mack considered committing to Texas A&M in June, but has since decided to slow down the process. That's understandable, especially considering he hasn't started his junior year of high school.
Mack said Miami running backs coach Hurlie Brown is recruiting the 6-foot-1, 311-pounder. For Clemson, defensive tackles coach Dan Brooks and defensive coordinator Brent Venables are recruiting Mack.
Both schools have interesting things to offer, Mack said.
"The tradition back with 'The U,'" Mack said of Miami. "They sent a lot of good defensive linemen to the pros a long time ago. And I like to go down there to the city of Miami. It's beautiful being down there at South Beach.
"Clemson, I really have a good relationship with the Clemson staff, talking with them and getting along. They said I may have a chance at early playing time because the year I come out they don't have any defensive linemen.
While Texas A&M has long been considered Mack's front-runner, he said the Aggies haven't been in touch lately.
"I really haven't heard from them in a long time," Mack said. "I guess they're on vacation or something right now."
Mack will be on campus at two different in-state schools each of the next two weekends: TCU this weekend and Texas the weekend of July 27.
Both schools have offered Mack, whose offer list stands at 11. He said that Arkansas and Baylor have offered him, despite neither offer being widely known.
Mack's full offer list is as follows:
- Texas A&M
- Texas Tech
Mack will likely be East Texas' top-rated recruit in the 2015 class. The first ESPN 300 rankings for that class were released Tuesday and Mack was ranked as the No. 10 overall recruit in the entire country. 247Sports.com's 2015 rankings rate Mack as the No. 14 overall recruit in the nation and the No. 2 player in the state.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 -- offers from TCU, Texas (2)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 -- offer from North Texas (1)
- Key'Vantanie "KeKe" Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 -- committed to Texas; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 -- offers from Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (5)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 -- offers from Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (4)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 -- offers from Baylor, Mississippi State (2)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 -- offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Miami, Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 -- offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, (7)
- Johnny Shaw, S, Center, 6-1, 185 -- committed to Texas; additional offer from TCU (2)