Colorado State Offers John Tyler’s Braylon Jones
Braylon Jones is back at the forefront of East Texas' recruiting sphere.
The rising senior defensive tackle from John Tyler reported Colorado State offered him a college football scholarship opportunity Tuesday through his personal Twitter account. It's his his first invitation since Feb. 17 and fifth in total.
Colorado State joins Army, Air Force, Houston and Navy in the current competition for Jones' services.
The Rams' program is in a major period of transition, but there's certainly evidence players can be enjoy success in Fort Collins, Colo. Last season's team went 10-2 during the regular season and sent head coach Jim McElwain to Florida before accepting an invitation to the Las Vegas Bowl.
Former Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo is in the process of replacing McElwain. It's his first head coaching job after seven seasons as the highest-ranking member of Georgia's offensive staff and 14 campaigns as his former program's quarterbacks coach, including developing Matthew Stafford and Aaron Murray along the way.
Bobo's staff is actively recruiting two other prospects from the area in Lufkin defensive end Bronson Massie and Van running back Aphonso Thomas.
Jones (6-3, 285) had a monster junior campaign and helped guide John Tyler to the Class 5A Division I state semifinals. The season ended with a loss to ultimate state champion Aledo.
He was one of the first prospects in East Texas' 2016 class to receive an offer.
The defensive tackle recorded 88 tackles, including 17 tackles for loss and seven sacks. Those are extremely high numbers for the position.
Jones isn't be the only returning John Tyler starter with college football interest. Rising junior receiver Damion Miller already holds offers from Texas Tech and Kansas.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 -- offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (10)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy (4)