Colorado State Second School To Offer Van’s Aphonso Thomas
Van running back Aphonso Thomas has picked up his second Division I FBS scholarship offer, and it came from Colorado State, the Vandals' 2016 prospect announced via Twitter on Friday evening.
Thomas (6-0, 190), the 10th East Texas recruit in the 2016 class with multiple FBS offers, was previously extended a scholarship opportunity by Kansas on Feb 26. He joins Lufkin defensive end/outside linebacker Bronson "Boom" Massie as the only area prospects with offers from Colorado State.
The Van back was one of the unsung heroes of the Vandals' undefeated run through the regular season in 2014. Splitting carries with senior Matt Savis, Thomas finished his junior year with 106 carries for 934 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Thomas displays good vision and the ability to run through tackles at the line of scrimmage. Several of his biggest gainers last season came as a result of excellent open-field vision and quality downfield blocking from his receivers.
Colorado State, which participates in the Mountain West Conference, is coached by Mike Bobo and finished the 2014 season 10-3 overall and 6-2 in league play. The Rams wrapped up the year with a 45-10 loss to Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl on Dec. 20.
Van must replace several key ingredients from last season's 10-1 Class 4A Division I bi-district finalist, including Savis, quarterback Peter Maddox, guard Wyatt Santos, defensive end Brice Borgerson, and linebacker Hunter Redmond.
The Vandals are hoping Thomas, along with a few holdovers and a bevy of newcomers, can help led Van back to another district title in 2015. Van shares District 8-4A Division I with Athens, Canton, Crandall, Mabank, and Wills Point.
Thomas, like all 2016 college football prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (21)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (21)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offer from SMU (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas (2)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech (2)
Read More: SMU First To Offer Alto's Keenen Johnson | http://etsn.fm/smu-first-to-offer-altos-keenen-johnson/?trackback=tsmclip