Daingerfield’s Denzel Mims Reports Offer From North Texas
Daingerfield receiver Denzel Mims spent part of his Saturday at the Baylor football satellite camp in Marshall, but the long-term highlight of the day was a hard offer from a different university.
The senior told ETSN.fm that he received a North Texas college football scholarship opportunity. It's his sixth overall invitation as the Mean Green join a current FBS mix also consisting of Texas State, Texas Tech, Arkansas State and Tulsa as well as Central Arkansas from the FCS.
North Texas is no stranger to the East Texas region.
Head coach Dan McCarney and his Mean Green coaching staff successfully recruited three regional players last season despite a step back from its 2013 Heart of Dallas Bowl championship season. Those players were John Tyler receiver Rodney Bendy, Whitehouse defensive back Nate Brooks and Marshall offensive lineman Chett Munden.
Former Pine Tree athlete Caleb Chumley also was considered part of the school's signing class.
The 2015 North Texas football roster will consist of seven former East Texas high school players.
Mims (6-4, 180) is the third uncommitted prospect from the region to own a Mean Green offer. Liberty-Eylau athlete Ke'Mon Freeman and Frankston receiver Kendrick Rogers are the other players targeted and available.
Mineola twin offensive tackles Austin Anderson and Riley Anderson also have invitations to join the team, but both prospects are committed to Texas A&M.
More targets could emerge this week. The Mean Green will conduct a football camp of its own Thursday at Tyler Lee. Registration for the event beings at 9 a.m. and participants will be charged a $40 fee, a standard price associated with FBS satellite camps.
McCarney's program finished the 2014 season with a 4-8 record. The campaign was highlighted by home wins against SMU, Florida Atlantic and Florida International.
Daingerfield had a rough go at it last season with a 1-9 record. Mims, however, was able to record some impressive feats during his junior season.
The receiver recorded 39 catches for 682 yards with six offensive touchdowns. He also made 24 tackles, four interceptions and scored two touchdowns as a defensive back.
Mims also won the Class 3A 200 meter dash championship in Austin last month with a time of 21.30 seconds. He topped the silver medalist by 11-hundredths of a second.
All 2016 prospects will become eligible to sign with any program that offers them on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offers from Purdue, ULM (2)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 —offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (5)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (10)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 5-10, 180 — committed to Nebraska; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Jeremy West, OL/DL, Chapel Hill, 6-2, 297 — offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy, Texas State (5)