Defending Class 3A State Champion Pleasant Grove Faces Lubbock Cooper in Wednesday’s State Semifinal
Pleasant Grove (27-13)
Lubbock Cooper (31-10)
1 p.m. Wednesday (June 5), UFCU Disch-Falk Field, Austin
- Pleasant Grove -- Craig Jones
- Lubbock Cooper -- Terry Baxter
How they got here
- Bi-district: bye (District 13-3A champion)
- Area: def. Bullard 2-0 in series (4-2, 2-0)
- Region II quarterfinal: def. Athens 2-0 in series (10-0, 4-1)
- Region II semifinal: def. Princeton 2-1 in series (W 9-3, L 2-1, W 5-0)
- Region II final: def. Melissa 2-1 in series (W 4-2, L 1-0, W 8-4)
- Bi-district: bye (District champion)
- Area: def. Big Spring 2-1 in series (W 10-1, L 3-2, W 10-2)
- Region I quarterfinal: def. Abilene Wylie 2-0 in series (7-4, 13-0)
- Region I semifinal: def. Kennedale 2-0 in series (3-0, 6-2)
- Region I final: def. Stephenville 2-0 in series (8-1, 11-0)
Players to watch
- P/OF Trey Jeans, Jr. (.370; 7-3)
- P/1B Jarod Bayless, Soph. (.266; 6-4)
- P Dalton Willige, Sr. (.250; 5-0)
- UTL Casey Rayburn, Sr. (.342)
- P/CF Dylan Silvey, Jr. (.293)
- P/1B Marshall McPherson, Jr. (.215; 4-1)
- 2B/P Alex Alsup, Sr. (.293; 1-1)
- SS/P Ty Harp, Sr. (.294; 1-4)
- 3B/P Joe Pearlman, Fr. (.345)
- P/SS Scotland Church, Sr. (.458; 9-1)
- P/OF Ryan Moseley, Sr. (.278; 10-1)
- OF/P Chandler Patterson, Sr. (.484)
- C Stanton Keane, Jr. (.382)
- INF Chase Freeman, Jr. (.378)
- 3B/P Braden Hayward, Jr. (.367)
- OF Tyler Parr, Sr. (.315)
- DH Austin Goolsby, Sr. (.311)
- P Sterling George, Sr. (5-2)
Did you know?
- Pleasant Grove will play in its sixth consecutive state tournament. The Hawks have won Region II every year since 2008, winning 3A state championships in 2010 and 2012.
- Texarkana-area schools have won eight consecutive Region II championships. Before Pleasant Grove won six in a row, Liberty-Eylau won back-to-back titles, winning the 2006 state crown and losing to Jasper in the 2007 title game. Carthage, which won the 2005 state championship, was the last non-Texarkana school to win Region II.
- The 2004 season was the last time an East Texas school did not win the Region II championship (Forney).
- Lubbock Cooper's only other state tournament appearance was 2005, when the Pirates lost 6-1 to Carthage in the state championship.
- In addition to its six consecutive state tournament berths, Pleasant Grove got to Austin in 1989 as well.
- Pleasant Grove coach Craig Jones is in his 14th season at PG, which was his first head coaching job. Jones is a Paris North Lamar graduate.
- Pleasant Grove is 49-7 in the playoffs since 2008, according to the Texarkana Gazette.
- Pleasant Grove has hit one triple and no home runs this season.
- Pleasant Grove has outscored its first four playoff opponents 43-15.
- The Hawks are 8-2 in the postseason and their only losses have come by one run apiece (2-1 to Princeton, 1-0 to Melissa).
- Pleasant Grove is 17-3 after starting the season 10-10.
- Lubbock Cooper has outscored its first four playoff opponents 60-13.
- Lubbock Cooper is 21-2 after starting the season 10-8.
- Lubbock Cooper, which is 8-1 in the playoffs, has won seven consecutive games by a cumulative score of 58-9.
- Winner faces LaGrange (24-9) or Silsbee (32-8) in Thursday's 6:30 p.m. 3A state championship game at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in Austin.