District Foes Gilmer + Spring Hill Clash in Third Round of the Playoffs
Region II Quarterfinal
Gilmer Buckeyes (23-9)
Spring Hill Panthers (16-12)
Series -- Pine Tree High School's Field of Dreams, Longview
- Game 1: 7 p.m. Friday (May 17)
- Game 2: 2 p.m. Saturday (May 18)
- Game 3: follows Game 2 if necessary
How they got here
- Bi-District: bye (16-3A champion)
- Area: def. Paris 2-1 in series (L 4-0, W 3-0, W 4-3)
- Bi-District: def. Mineola in one-game playoff, 4-3
- Area: def. Emory Rains 2-1 in series (L 5-3, W 5-3, W 2-0)
Probable starting position players
- C -- Jaidon Parrish (.384, 27 RBIs)
- 1B -- Mitch Lange
- 2B -- Dylan Bowman (.333, 13 RBIs)
- 3B -- Blevin Burns (.304, 21 RBIs)
- SS -- Noah Jenkins
- LF -- Slade Morris
- CF -- Skylar Hollis (.367, 14 RBIs)
- RF -- Travis Carter
- DH -- Colin Hardin
- C -- Cameron Copeland (.259, 14 RBIs, 5 2Bs)
- 1B -- Hagan Tucker (.286, 8 RBIs)
- 2B -- Josh Guarisco (.306, 8 RBIs)
- 3B -- Lane Nesbett (.308, 18 RBIs, 5 2Bs)
- SS -- Matt Williams (.410, 1 HR, 17 RBIs, 8 2Bs)
- LF/CF -- Waylon McFadin
- CF -- Ben Hollas (.409, 13 RBIs, 11 2Bs, 10 SBs)
- RF -- Nathan Methvin (.435, 19 RBIs, 9 2Bs)
- RF -- Eli Reagh (.278, 16 RBIs)
- RF -- Garrett Plumlee
- DH -- Logan Nichols (.312)
Probable starting pitchers
- Bryce Tomlin (6-3, 1.20 ERA, 88 Ks)
- Colin Hardin (7-1, 2.01 ERA, 44 Ks)
- Colton Hendrix (3-1, 1.77 ERA, 10 Ks)
- Skylar Hollis (4-1, 2.08 ERA, 30 Ks)
- Nathan Methvin (6-1, 1.83 ERA, 47 Ks, 16 BBs, 53.2 IP)
- Trevor Martin (4-3, 5.05 ERA, 15 Ks, 19 BBs, 34.2 IP)
- Eli Reagh (3-2, 2.39 ERA, 18 Ks, 15 BBs, 29.1 IP)
- Parker White (1-1, 2.80 ERA, 18 Ks, 17 BBs, 20.0 IP)
- Gilmer coach Lonnie Henry on playing Spring Hill for a third time this season: "I don't know if there's an advantage or disadvantage. When we beat them, they weren't playing very well. And when they beat us they were playing well and they're still playing well. So I think it's more of a disadvantage for us."
- Henry on his top two starting pitchers Bryce Tomlin and Colin Hardin: "Bryce pitched really well last week against Paris. He struggled maybe midway through the season in district, but he's putting it together and pitched well against Paris. He threw a lot of strikes, was able to pitch down in the zone and get a lot of outs. Colin's battled this year. He's starting to come around and hopefully we'll get him rolling."
- Spring Hill coach Joel Windham on facing a district opponent in the playoffs: "We're definitely looking forward to it. I know it might not show up in football, but our schools are both good schools and there's a little bit of a rivalry there. The way the passion flowed the last two times we played, you could see it's a big game for those guys too."
- Windham on the keys for success this weekend: "The same as it always is: we have to rely on our pitching staff to come through and we've gotta play good defense. Both us and Gilmer hit the ball well. It'll come down to whoever pitching's withstands everything and how well they play defense."
Did you know?
- Spring Hill handed Gilmer its first district loss of the season, 5-2, on April 16. Panthers pitcher Nathan Methvin allowed one earned run on three hits in the complete-game effort.
- Spring Hill shared the district title with Carthage last season, but fell in a one-game playoff to Crandall in the area round of the playoffs after receiving a first-round bye.
- Gilmer is 8-2 since its loss to Spring Hill with one of the losses coming to Paris in Game 1 of the Buckeyes' area-round series last week.
- Winner faces Melissa or Argyle in a 3A Region II semifinal.