Earl Campbell Included in Inaugural Tyler ISD Athletic Hall of Fame Class
Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Earl Campbelll, a.k.a. “The Tyler Rose,” headlined the inaugural Tyler ISD Athletic Hall of Fame class, athletic director Rod Kaspar announced Wednesday.
Campbell, a member of John Tyler’s 1973 state championship that was also included in the class, won the 1977 Heisman Trophy at Texas before going on to star in the NFL for the Houston Oilers and New Orleans Saints from 1978-1985.
The Tyler ISD Athletic Hall of Fame class, which will be recognized during Sept. 13’s game between John Tyler and Tyler Lee, also includes former John Tyler defensive back Aaron Ross and ex-JT football coach Allen Wilson. Ross was the 2006 Jim Thorpe Award winner at Texas and is a two-time Super Bowl champion with the New York Giants. Wilson compiled a 102-34 record as the Lions’ coach from 1991-2001, leading JT to the 1994 Class 5A Division II state championship.
2013 Tyler ISD Athletic Hall of Fame Inductees
- Earl Campbell, John Tyler (member of 1973 state championship team, 1977 Heisman Trophy winner at Texas, Pro Football Hall of Famer)
- Mike Carter, John Tyler (all-state baseball player, baseball stadium Mike Carter Field named in his honor)
- Clifford Gregory, Tyler High (captain on the 1930 state championship football team)
- Billy Hall (graduate of Tyler High, former coach at Tyler Lee and Tyler ISD athletic director)
- Daniel Hernandez, John Tyler (all-state soccer player, former Major League Soccer player)
- Charles Milstead, Tyler High (quarterbacked the 1955 state-finalist football team)
- Kristee Porter, John Tyler (All-American volleyball player at UCLA)
- Aaron Ross, John Tyler (member of 2000 state-finalist football team, 2006 Jim Thorpe Award winner at Texas, two-time Super Bowl champion with the New York Giants)
- Robert Taylor, Emmett Scott High (gold and silver medalist at 1972 Olympic Games in Munich)
- Danya Reed Westbrook, Tyler Lee (all-state basketball player, led Lee to 1986 Class 5A girls basketball championship game)
- Allen Wilson, John Tyler (head football coach, lead Lions to 1994 5A Division II state championship and 2000 5A D-II state final)
- 1973 John Tyler football team (Class 4A state champions)