East Texan Qualifiers for State Track + Field from Class A Division II
Eight individual competitors and three relay teams qualified for state at the Region III and Region IV track and field championships in Class A Division II this past weekend.
The Region III event in Bullard on Friday and Saturday yielded six individual qualifiers and three relay teams.
Saltillo's Cade Daniel (long jump) and Leverett's Chapel's Jessie Harris (shot put) won gold, while Harris (discus) and Saltillo's Clayton Jones (3,200 meters) earned silver to also qualify for the UIL state track and field championships, which are May 10-11 at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin.
Avinger's boys 400-meter relay and Fruitvale's boys 800-meter relay won first and second, respectively, to snag state berths.
In girls action at the Region III meet, Union Hill's Kelsi Colbert (discus), Fruitvale's Hannah Sheppard (high jump), and Yantis' Lila Hurley (400 meters) won gold. Fruitvale's 400-meter relay team also placed first to qualify for state.
Two East Texas boys competitors qualified for the UIL state meet during this past weekend's Region IV meet in Kingsville.
Chireno's Julian Davis finished second in the 300-meter hurdles, while Chireno's Dante Starling earned silver in the 400 meters.
Class A Division II Region III
- 1. Cade Daniel, Saltillo -- 20-8 1/4
- 1. Jessie Harris, Leverett's Chapel -- 47-2
- 2. Jessie Harris, Leverett's Chapel -- 134-11
- 2. Clayton Jones, Saltillo -- 11:17.87
- 1. Avinger (Dillon Barton, Jeremiaha Clark, Antonio Neal, Desmond Chism) -- 48.18
- 2. Fruitvale (Cody Harman, Colton Harman, Stephen Holland, Trent Taylor) -- 1:39.95
- 1. Kelsi Colbert, Union Hill -- 107-8
- 1. Hannah Sheppard, Fruitvale - 5-0
- 1. Lila Hurley, Yantis -- 1:09.80
- 1. Fruitvale (Emma Shaw, Hannah Sheppard, Chelsea Watson, Kelly Soules) -- 0:55.43
Class A Division II Region IV
- 2. Dante Starling, Chireno -- 55.61
- 2. Julian Davis, Apple Springs -- 44.16