East Texas Foes West Sabine + Colmesneil Meet in Second-Round Class A Battle
Class A Division I Region III
West Sabine Tigers (9-0)
Colmesneil Bulldogs (10-1)
7:30 p.m. Friday
John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium, Lufkin
- West Sabine: Tod Stark
- Colmesneil: Fancy Johnson
- West Sabine: first-round bye
- Colmesneil: won 36-34 vs. Axtell
- Winner faces Mart (7-3) or San Augustine (5-6) in a 1A D-I Region III semifinal.
- QB ReShod Williams, Jr., 5-8, 170 (59 of 84, 1,167 yards, 57 carries, 777 yards, 7 TDs)
- RB Nick Williams, Sr., 5-6, 165 (87 carries, 1,156 yards, 16 TDs; 14 carries, 166 yards, 1 TD)
- RB/LB Hunter Cabral, Sr., 5-10, 180 (61 carries, 468 yards, 9 TDs)
- ATH Kirkland Wilson (18 carries, 181 yards, 2 TDs; 9 catches, 293 yards, 3 TDs)
- WR Joshua Duffey (16 catches, 437 yards, 9 TDs)
- ATH Garry Sturrock (24 carries, 233 yards, 4 TDs; 4 catches, 84 yards, 3 TDs)
- OL Jeremy Williams, Sr.
- OL Dustin Bragg, Sr.
- OL Dakota Dew, Sr.
- QB Matt Bailey
- RB Cody Walsh
- RB Waylon Whitley
- ATH Chris Carr
- TE Dylan Falcon
- RB Parker Johnson
- OL/DL Hayden Langston
- LB Zack Bryan
- DB Kaleb Lindsay
Just the facts
- West Sabine beat Colmesneil 63-20 in the teams' last meeting, which was Oct. 7, 2011.
- That game marked West Sabine's sixth consecutive victory against Colmesneil since 2006. West Sabine won all six games by at least 35 points.
- West Sabine outscored Colmesneil 308-53 during that six-year streak. The Tigers scored at least 44 points in each of the six contests.
- West Sabine averages 55.0 points per game and yields 9.0.
- Colmesneil averages 44.9 points per game and allows 21.1.
- West Sabine has scored at least 60 points in six of its first nine games (6-0).
- Colmesneil has scored at least 48 points in five of its first 11 games (4-1).
- West Sabine has held all nine of its opponents to 22 or fewer points. That includes three shutouts and a total of five foes held to single digits.
- Colmesneil has held 7 of 11 opponents to 22 or fewer points. That includes one shutout and three opponents held to single digits.
- Colmesneil's lone loss was 59-48 at Hull-Daisetta on Nov. 8.
- West Sabine's first nine foes have a combined record of 24-63 (.276).
- Colmesneil's first 11 opponents have a combined record of 35-75 (.318).
Did you know? West Sabine and Colmesneil scrimmaged Aug. 16 in Pineland. ... Colmesneil's 10 wins mark the first time the Bulldogs have reached that win total in a single season since 1980 (10-2). ... This is the third time in program history that Colmesneil has won at least 10 games. ... Colmesneil's back-to-back playoff appearances are the first since the Bulldogs reached the postseason three consecutive years from 1995-97. ... West Sabine's nine wins mark the third time in four years that the Tigers have won at least nine games. ... Tod Stark is in his seventh season at West Sabine, which is 46-29 in his tenure. ... Fancy Johnson is in his second season at Colmesneil, which is 15-7 under his direction.