Georgia Gives Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane His 30th Offer
The recruitment of Jaylon Lane hit a milestone when the 2015 Nacogdoches cornerback picked up his 30th offer from a Division I FBS program.
Lane (6-2, 185) announced on Twitter that Georgia had made him a scholarship offer late Wednesday morning. The Bulldogs became the ninth SEC program to offer the rising star, joining Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss and Texas A&M.
Georgia, which finished 2013 at 8-5 with a 24-19 loss to Nebraska in the Gator Bowl, also became the 48th unique FBS program to offer the 18 East Texas recruits in the 2015 class.
Lane, which had no offers at the beginning of February, now has more offers than any East Texas prospect. The next-closest is Gladewater defensive tackle and Texas A&M commit Daylon Mack, who has 21 offers. The recruitment of Lane began to seriously heat up after the Dragons defensive back pulled down DB MVP honors at the Rivals.com camp in Houston early last month.
With and Lane and 2016 safety Brandon Jones in the fold, the Nacogdoches secondary could be one of East Texas' very best this fall.
Lane, who recently transferred back to his native Nacogdoches, spent the last two seasons in San Angelo at Central High School. As a junior, he had five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns -- included was a 108-yard return for a touchdown.
Jones, who has 12 high-major offers himself, enjoyed breakout success as a sophomore for Nacogdoches. He had five interceptions, 95 tackles, one defensive touchdown and two special teams returns for scores in 2013.
The Dragons, who reached the playoffs last season for the first time since 2006, return several key playmakers aside from Jones. Included are quarterbacks Hunter McClellan and Bryce Matthews, receivers Sam Morgan and Alex Greogry and running back Coronado Tolbert.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois (1)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (30)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Oklahoma State, ULL (4)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)