Gilmer’s Kris Boyd Commits to Texas
For the past month, the anticipation steadily built. Where would GIlmer 2015 cornerback Kris Boyd go to college? He provided the answer Friday afternoon.
Boyd, along with friend and fellow 2015 defensive back Holton Hill of Houston Lamar, offered up his verbal commitment to Texas. The two drove to Austin this morning, and made their decision via live online video stream.
The Gilmer standout became the 24th 2015 East Texas recruit to commit to a Division I FBS program. Boyd is also the 10th player from the region to pledge to a school in a Power 5 conference -- ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC.
Over the past few weeks, Boyd whittled down an offer list of 14 down to five -- Alabama, Baylor, Florida State, Texas and Texas A&M. But that list dwindled to two after Boyd make official recruiting visits to Texas and A&M in each of the last two weekends.
Boyd (6-0, 180) is the first East Texas recruit in the 2015 class to commit to Texas. Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack will be deciding between Texas, Texas A&M and TCU before next week's National Signing Day.
The 2015 Longhorns signing class now includes five defensive backs. Texas has produced a pair of Jim Thorpe Awards, which has been presented to college football's top DB every year since 1986 -- Michael Huff in 2005 and former John Tyler standout Aaron Ross in 2006.
Recruiting services rate Boyd as one of the best cornerback prospects in the country. Scout.com ranks him as the eighth-best CB and 41st overall, and Boyd is a consensus four-star recruit among all the major networks. He participated in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio on Jan. 3.
Boyd is the second Gilmer senior to pledge FBS, joining receiver Blake Lynch, who is already enrolled at Baylor.
A four-year varsity member for the Buckeyes, Boyd is one of the most decorated and accomplished high school players in Gilmer history, playing both running back and defensive back.
As a weapon on offense, Boyd finished his high school career with 3,519 rushing yards and 60 touchdowns, along with 1,367 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns. His senior season, which culminated with the Class 4A Division II state championship, included 1,860 yards and 31 touchdowns.
Boyd's numbers on defense are skewed because of his limited amount of reps on that side of the ball. But he had his best defensive season this past fall, registering 43 tackles with two interceptions, a fumble recovery and four passes broken up.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-11, 165 – committed to Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Chaston Brooks, ATH, Tatum, 6-0, 183 – offer from New Mexico State (1)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — committed to ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, Tulsa (5)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 230 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-0, 178 – committed to ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-3, 175 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – committed to TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – committed to UTSA; additional offer from Baylor (2)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 6-0, 177 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (38)
- Blake Lynch, ATH, Gilmer, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 330 – offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (8)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – committed to ULM; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Chett Munden, OL, Marshall, 6-6, 303 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jassavia Reese, DE, John Tyler, 6-4, 227 – committed to New Mexico State (1)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-2, 178 — offers from Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Chris Spikes, WR, Jasper, 6-3, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-3, 211 – committed to Tulsa; additional offers from Navy, New Mexico, Rice, Toledo, ULM (6)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Isaac Warren, CB/S, John Tyler, 6-1, 189 — offers from Arizona State, New Mexico State, Purdue, SMU, UTEP (5)
- Broderick Washington, OL/DL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-6, 274 — offer from SMU (1)