Gilmer’s Kris Boyd Picks Up Offers From LSU + Texas A&M
It was a big day for Gilmer 2015 athlete Kris Boyd, who picked up two monster offers Tuesday from SEC programs.
Boyd (6-0, 180), who made the announcements via Twitter, is up to 13 Division I FBS offers after both LSU and Texas A&M made the Buckeyes playmaker a recruiting target.
He now has the third-most offers of any player in the East Texas 2015 class, behind only Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane (Oklahoma State commit) and Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack (Texas A&M pledge).
After receiving his LSU offer Tuesday morning, Boyd hinted at a potential upcoming recruiting trip to the Baton Rouge campus. He had even more glowing comments concerning his afternoon Aggies offer, calling it "the biggest offer of all."
Those are strong words from Boyd, who also has offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas and Texas Tech.
LSU has now offered six East Texans in the 2015 class, but only two are ucommitted -- Boyd and Newton defensive back Roney Elam. The Tigers also have offers out to Texas A&M pledges Justin Dunning of Whitehouse, Daylon Mack of Gladewater and Larry Pryor of Sulphur Springs. Nacogdoches' Jaylon Lane, who recently committed to Oklahoma State, also has an LSU offer.
The Aggies, after two solid seasons in the SEC that have included two bowl wins and a Heisman Trophy, are currently putting together one of the strongest 2015 classes in the country. And East Texas has been a primary point of emphasis. Adding a player like Boyd to a list that already includes the likes of Dunning, Mack and Pryor would only further the Aggies' stronghold on the region.
Boyd, who has played running back for the majority of his varsity career in Gilmer, most likely projects as a cornerback at the next level. As a junior, Boyd finished with 1,191 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns on the ground, averaging 10.5 yards per carry. He was also dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield, grabbing 22 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns. Defensively, he collected 26 tackles, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
Gilmer should again be a threat for a deep run in the playoffs this fall. In addition to Kris Boyd, the Buckeyes return receivers Nick Smith, Quinn Fluellen and Chase Tate and outside linebacker Demarco Boyd to a team that finished 11-2 and reached the third round of the postseason.
The Buckeyes will compete in the new District 5-4A Division II along with Bullard, Canton, Emory Rains, Melissa and Nevada Community.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (13)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, UTSA (4)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Memphis, Nevada, UTSA (3)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo (3)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)