Gilmer’s Kris Boyd Picks Up Oklahoma State as College Option
Count Oklahoma State in.
The Big 12 power player gave Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd his 14th unique scholarship opportunity less than a day after he visited Alabama, according to Boyd's announcement on Twitter.
The local athlete is widely considered a blue chip and is a consensus four-star player from the major recruiting websites in 247sports.com, ESPN.com, Rivals.com and Scout.com.
Boyd, a 6-foot, 175-pounder, led Gilmer in rushing each of the last two seasons, but he will likely play cornerback in college.
The athlete finished the 2013 season with 1,191 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns on the ground, averaging 10.5 yards per carry. He was also dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield, grabbing 22 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns.
Boyd also recorded 26 tackles, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
In addition to the Cowboys' scholarship, he holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.
Oklahoma State, coached by Mike Gundy, contended for the 2013 Big 12 championship through the final week of the regular season and then made a Cotton Bowl appearance against Missouri.
The Cowboys are entering this season as the projected conference runner-up to Baylor.
Gundy's staff has extended scholarship to six other East Texans and earned a verbal commitment from Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane who is the most sought after player in the region.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-9, 167 – offer from Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — offer from ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa (4)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-1, 186 – offer from ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (6)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 -- offer from UTSA (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (6)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Houston, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo, Tulsa, ULM (5)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)