Girls Basketball Games to Watch: John Tyler + Pine Tree Eye Statement Wins
Both Pine Tree and John Tyler enter Friday’s action with .500 district records with each facing their respective district leaders. Wins by either could go a long way in sewing up playoff berths.
The Lady Pirates (14-9, 3-3) play at District 14-4A leader Mount Pleasant (19-4, 6-0), while John Tyler (18-11, 3-3 in 16-4A) entertains No. 14 Lindale (22-4, 6-0) at the Lions Den.
Pine Tree, coming off a 57-38 loss to Sulphur Springs, dropped its first meeting with Mount Pleasant back on Jan. 8, 42-34.
John Tyler, which earned a 50-45 decision over Jacksonville on Monday, was beaten by Lindale, 71-68, on Jan. 4.
There are a couple of potential season-altering matchups in District 12-5A.
Longview (15-11, 3-5) and Tyler Lee (13-16, 3-5) enter Friday’s action tied for the fourth and final playoff spot. The Lady Lobos play host to struggling Rockwall-Heath (8-16, 1-8), while Tyler Lee faces a tough road test at Mesquite (18-11, 7-2).
The Lady Raiders, which lost to Longview in its first meeting, face Longview for the final time next Tuesday.
Other girls basketball teams Friday involving ranked teams …
- Atlanta at No. 15 Pittsburg
- Paris at No. 17 Liberty-Eylau
- Brownsboro at No. 23 Mineola
- No. 25 Bullard at Kilgore
- Union Grove at No. 19 Tatum
- No. 20 Winnsboro at Lone Oak
- Como-Pickton at No. 21 Alba-Golden
Class A Division I
- Carlisle at No. 1 Martin’s Mill
- No. 2 Martinsville at Gary
- No. 17 Lovelady at No. 9 Slocum
- West Sabine at No. 15 Zavalla
Class A Division II
- No. 1 Saltillo at Sulphur Bluff
- No. 16 Chireno at Douglass
- No. 3 Tyler T.K. Gorman at Tyler Grace