Girls Basketball Games To Watch: Longview + Tyler Lee Could Take Big Step Toward Playoffs
There are four playoff spots available from District 12-5A, and there is currently a tie for fourth place between rivals Longview and Tyler Lee. And both can make a big push toward the postseason Tuesday with wins against teams at the top of the standings.
Longview (15-10, 3-4) faces district-leading Mesquite Horn (19-6, 7-1) on the road, while the Lady Raiders (13-15, 3-4) host Rockwall (20-8, 6-2), which is currently tied for second in 12-5A.
The Lady Lobos and Lee do not meet again until Jan. 29, but they could put pressure on each other with upset wins on Tuesday.
Longview fell to Horn, 67-40, back on Dec. 21. Rockwall defeated Tyler Lee, 59-28, in their previous encounter.
In District 14-4A, Sulphur Springs (20-9, 3-2) travels to Longview to take on Pine Tree (14-8, 3-2) with sole possession of second place in the district on the line.
Lindale (21-4, 5-0), ranked No. 14 by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches, is in firm control of 16-4A, but there is a cluster of four teams separated by just one game lurking behind.
The picture should be a little clearer after a pair of 16-4A games this week -- John Tyler (18-11, 3-3) defeated Jacksonville (15-14, 2-4), 50-45, on Monday while Whitehouse (12-9, 2-3) is at Nacogdoches (18-10, 3-2) on Tuesday.
Other girls basketball games Tuesday involving ranked teams ...
- Corsicana at No. 14 Lindale
- No. 15 Pittsburg at Pleasant Grove
- No. 17 Liberty-Eylau at Atlanta
- Van at No. 23 Mineola
- Nacogdoches Central Heights at No. 9 Crockett
- No. 19 Tatum at New Diana
- Grand Saline at No. 20 Winnsboro
- No. 21 Alba-Golden at Lone Oak
Class A Division I
- No. 1 Martin's Mill at Beckville
- No. 2 Martinsville at Joaquin
- Latexo at No. 9 Slocum
- No. 15 Zavalla at Lufkin Pineywoods Academy
Class A Division II
- No. 1 Saltillo at Karnack
- Douglass at No. 15 Kennard
- Apple Springs at No. 16 Chireno
- Dallas Christian at No. 3 Tyler T.K. Gorman