Gladewater Defensive Back Austin Hawley Commits To ULM
Austin Hawley gained a fourth college football scholarship opportunity earlier this week, but the first offer ended up being the best for Gladewater's senior safety.
Hawley verbally committed Thursday evening to Louisiana-Monroe in favor of other invitations from Incarnate Word, Lamar and Southeastern Louisiana. It was the Warhawks program that made the defensive back an NCAA Division I prospect five months ago.
InsideTexas.com's Justin Wells first reported the news.
Gladewater has zipped along to a 5-1 overall record ahead of Friday's big game at home against Atlanta. Hawley (6-1, 207) is the team's third-leading tackler with 40 takedowns, including eight tackles for loss, and also has two forced fumbles and one interception through six games.
In May, Hawley attended the ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine and won the event's Defensive Backs Most Valuable Player Award. Highlights of his performance were a 32-inch vertical jump and a 4.59-second laser-timed 40-yard dash.
ULM is 2-4 overall under first-year head coach Matt Viator and is tied for sixth place in the Sun Belt Conference standings with a 1-2 league record. The Warhawks have already tied last year's win total of two games ahead of visiting New Mexico State on Saturday.
Viator joined the program after a successful 10-year run at McNeese State, an NCAA Division I FCS program. He led that school to four Southland Conference championships and five FCS playoff appearances toward a 78-33 career record.
ULM has been a fairly popular destination for East Texas players in recent years. Hawley will have the opportunity to join up with former Chapel Hill safety Wesley Thompson for the 2017 season as well as five other players from the area at different positions.
Hawley, like all college football prospects currently in their senior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 — offer from Louisiana Tech, UTEP (2)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — committed to Navy; additional offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Terrell Cooper, Lindale, DE, 6-3, 240 — offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, Texas A&M, Tulsa (18)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Quan Hampton, Texas High, WR, 5-8, 165 —offer from Texas State (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — committed to ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — committed to Louisiana Tech; additional offers from ULM, UTSA (3)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-10, 186 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (13)
- Javonta Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Wyoming (2)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offers from Air Force, Army, Texas State (3)
- Dez Robinson, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 210 — offers from UTEP, Wyoming (2)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Arkansas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — offers from Air Force, Memphis, Navy, North Texas (4)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, DE/LB, 6-3, 225 — committed to Air Force; additional offers from ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA (14)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (24)
- Lakendrick VanZandt, Henderson, S, 6-1, 196 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa (8)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offer from ULM (1)