Grapeland Faces Muenster Thursday Morning in 1A Division I State Semifinal
UIL Boys State Basketball Tournament
Class A Division I State Semifinal
Grapeland (33-4) vs. Muenster (27-2)
- When: 8:30 a.m. Thursday
- Where: Frank Erwin Center, Austin
Road to Austin
- Area: def. Martin’s Mill, 71-68 (OT)
- Regional quarterfinal: def. Kerens, 88-70
- Regional semifinal: def. Tenaha, 83-49
- Regional championship: def. LaPoynor, 85-71
- Area: def. Merit Bland, 67-46
- Regional quarterfinal: def. Trenton, 72-50
- Regional semifinal: def. Poolville, 62-38
- Regional championship: def. Collinsville, 63-47
Players to watch
- Patrick Walker, G, Sr., 6-1 — 19.3 ppg., 6.0 rpg., 5.3 apg., 2.7 spg.
- Jacolby Simpson, F/C, Sr., 6-3 — 20.2 ppg., 7.4 rpg., 1.1 apg., 2.0 spg.
- William Whitehead, F, Jr., 6-3 — 12.5 ppg., 11.2 rpg., 0.5 apg., 2.0 spg.
- Lyndon Cook, F/C, Jr., 6-7 — 20.1 ppg., 17.3 rpg., 3.6 apg., 1.9 spg.
- Cole Walterscheid, F/C, Sr., 6-6 — 14.7 ppg., 8.2 rpg., 1.2 apg., 1.2 spg.
- Blake Hoepfner, G, Fr., 6-0 — 9.4 ppg., 3.6 rpg., 1.3 apg., 1.1 spg.
What to expect: It appears as if Thursday morning’s semifinal will be a contrast in styles. Grapeland makes no bones about what it likes to do: shoot the ball. The Sandies have five players averaging double figures in scoring, and as a team they shoot 34 percent from the 3-point line. Grapeland averages 79.3 points per game and has averaged 81.2 in its four playoff games. Muenster counters with size as four Mustangs stand 6-foot-4 or taller, including the low-post combination of Cook and Walterscheid. If the game turns into a battle of half-court offense, Muenster may have an advantage. Rebounding will be equally important for Grapeland, which uses the defensive rebound to ignite its transition game that often times yields wide-open looks from the 3-point line.