Hooks’ Malik Estell Wins ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week
When the Hooks players and fans think back on their 2015 District 7-3A Division II championship years and years from now, rest assured Malik Estell's performance will be remembered like it was yesterday.
The junior linebacker did more than contribute to the Hornets' 22-16 win against Paul Pewitt. He practically won the title for his team with the most dominant defensive performance in recent memory.
Estell recorded 31 tackles, including three tackles for loss and a sack, Friday in a one-possession victory to take the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Player of the Week honor. He won the award hands down against a group of other candidates that easily could have won on a different week.
This week, no other East Texas defender got within 13 tackles of Estell's bottom line.
Paul Pewitt -- just like Hooks -- entered the showdown undefeated in district play. It was a true district championship game set up by circumstance.
The Hornets held Paul Pewitt's offense to a district-low in points scored. Only Class 3A Division II state champion Waskom, Class 3A Division I state runner-up Mineola and perennial power Arp held the same offense to less points through the 10-game regular season.
Estell and company will have to continue playing at a high level despite earning a first-place seed through the Class 3A Division II, Region II postseason bracket. The team will face Arp in the bi-district round of the state playoffs Thursday at Gilmer's Jeff Traylor Stadium.
Arp closed the season on a four-game winning streak with an athletic offense that only recently began to put it all together.
If Estell can perform at a level that even rivals what he did Friday, however, Hooks should be in good position to reach the area round for the first time since 2011.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 11 (Nov. 5-Nov. 7) -- Malik Estell, Jr., Hooks
- Week 10 (Oct. 29-Oct. 31) -- Brazos Hesskew, LB, Canton
- Week 9 (Oct. 22-Oct. 26) -- Breylan Bradford, DL, Spring Hill
- Week 8 (Oct. 15-Oct. 17) -- Kevin Jones, DB, West Rusk
- Week 7 (Oct. 8-Oct. 10) -- Devon Goguen, DL, Mineola
- Week 6 (Oct. 1-Oct. 3) -- Chase Boyd, LB, Winona
- Week 5 (Sept. 24-Sept. 26) -- Pierre Leonard, DL, John Tyler
- Week 4 (Sept. 17-Sept. 19) -- Noah Sneed, DB, Mineola
- Week 3 (Sept. 10-Sept. 12) -- Joe Wright, LB, West Rusk
- Week 2 (Sept. 3-Sept. 5) -- Brewster Griffith, LB, Carthage
- Week 1 (Aug. 27-Aug. 29) -- Ameron Dean, DB, Longview