Hooks’ Montrell Estell + Jordan Johnson Pick Up Division I Offers
A couple catalysts from the Hooks Hornets' 2015 district championship season earned Division I FBS offers on Thursday.
Junior receiver/defensive back Montrell Estell earned an offer from Arkansas -- his seventh FBS scholarship opportunity, while fellow 2017 Hooks prospect Jordan Johnson received offer No. 1 from Air Force.
Both players broke the news via Twitter on Thursday evening.
Estell (6-2, 180) is a legitimate two-way standout on the next level. As a receiver, he finished 2015 with 34 catches for 417 yards and five touchdowns, and added 380 yards and four touchdowns on the ground in 11 games.
As a defensive back, Estell recorded 64 tackles with four sacks, six forced fumbles, two recoveries, and two blocked kicks.
Estell also holds FBS offers from Arizona State, Kansas, SMU, Texas State, Texas Tech, and SMU.
Johnson (6-0, 195) starred at both quarterback and outside linebacker for the Hornets last season.
He passed for 980 yards and 10 touchdowns, while rushing for 975 additional yards and 12 TDs on his way to earning District 7-3A Division II Offensive MVP honors. Defensively, Johnson racked up 119 tackles with three sacks and two fumble recoveries.
Estell is the second East Texas prospect in the 2017 class to receive an offer from Arkansas, who also reached out to Liberty-Eylau defensive end and Texas commit Lagaryonn Carson.
Arkansas, which competes in the West Division of the SEC, is coached by Bret Bielema. The Razorbacks were 8-5 overall and 5-3 in conference play last season, ending the year with a 45-23 win over Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl on Jan. 2.
The Razorbacks signed fellow East Texan Micahh Smith, a Marshall defensive back, on Feb. 3 of this year.
Air Force is a member of the Mountain West Conference. Coached by Troy Calhoun, the Falcons were 8-6 in 2015 and dropped a 55-36 decision to Cal in the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 29.
Hooks will lose RB/LB Reshawn Parker, an Oklahoma State signee, to graduation but will return both Estell and Johnson from last season's 9-2 team that went undefeated in district.
The Hornets will be a member of the 7-3A Division II again in 2016 along with Daingerfield, DeKalb, New Diana, Paul Pewitt, Ore City, and Queen City.
Estell and Johnson, like all 2017 recruits, will have until Feb. 1 to make their college decisions official.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, SMU (3)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Kansas (2)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR, 6-2, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Kansas, SMU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (7)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 -- offer from Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, New Mexico, SMU, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (6)