Hoosiers Offer Texas High Receiver Tevailance Hunt
A new conference moved into the chase for Tevailance Hunt late Saturday evening.
Indiana joined a mix of 15 other NCAA Division I FBS programs competing for the senior Texas High receiver’s services. It’s the only school of the bunch able to pitch the Big Ten Conference as a selling point.
Hunt (6-2, 180), a Kansas commitment, reported his latest offer via his personal Twitter account.
Kansas has been a thorn in the side of the of the two other schools interested schools from major conferences — Iowa State and Oklahoma State — up to this point in time. The Jayhawks acquired former Texas High receiver Quan Hampton in February, which made an impact on Hunt.
Hampton and Hunt were two parts of a three-headed offensive monster last season alongside graduated quarterback and current North Texas roster member Cade Pearson. The trio helped Texas High to a 10-0 regular season and a District 16-5A championship ahead of a first-round loss in the Class 5A Division I state playoffs.
Hunt served as Texas High’s second-leading receiver with 701 yards and 10 touchdowns on 36 receptions.
This season, Hunt will be paired with first-year starting quarterback Coltin Clack. The new signal-caller already owns invites from Florida Atlantic, SMU and Southern Miss without a varsity start.
Indiana’s offer to Hunt came after a turbulent event.
Former head coach Kevin Wilson resigned after guiding the Hoosiers to a second consecutive bowl game due to “philosophical differences” with the school’s athletics department. The Indianapolis Star newspaper shortly thereafter reported Wilson had been investigated for his handling of player affairs.
Hoosiers defensive coordinator Tom Allen was promoted to the Hoosiers’ head coach position and Wilson ultimately became the defensive coordinator at Ohio State.
Indiana had just completed a 6-6 regular season at the time of Wilson’s departure and produced a 4-5 Big Ten record. It played in the East Division, which entailed facing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.
None of those three competitors finished with more than two regular season losses.
Ohio State made the semifinal round of the College Football Playoff. Michigan received an Orange Bowl berth and Penn State earned a Rose Bowl slot.
Indiana has an all-time winning percentage of .425 and is 3-8 in bowl games through 129 years of competition. It last won the Big Ten in 1967.
Hunt will become eligible to sign with any Division I program that offers him in December. A second signing period opens in February.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-2, 211 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Iowa State, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (18)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, Memphis, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (13)
- Hunter Brabham, Hughes Springs, DE, 6-3, 235 — offer from Army (1)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-3, 296 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from SMU, Southern Miss, ULM (4)
- Kylar Cooks, Liberty-Eylau, OL, 6-5, 252 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, ULL (4)
- Jeremiah Davis, Lufkin, CB, 5-10, 194 — committed to ULL (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Colorado, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, Tulane (8)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 209 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offers from Florida Atlantic, New Mexico State, Tulane, ULL, ULM (5)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-3, 243 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 353 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Indiana, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (16)
- Dewaylon Ingram, Carthage, WR, 6-0, 160 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 163 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (3)
- Chris Kessler, Longview, K, 5-9, 150 — offer from Army (1)
- Kameron King, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 275 — offers from Memphis, North Texas, Tulane, ULM, Southern Miss (5)
- Trevor Lawrence, Whitehouse, DE, 6-4, 245 — offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, S, 6-4, 196 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Leonard Parks, Texas High, DE, 6-5, 230 — offer from ULM (1)
- Michael Sanchez, Gladewater, TE/OL, 6-5, 327 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Kansas State, ULM, Missouri, New Mexico, Memphis, North Texas, Oregon State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech (15)
- Marje Smith, Marshall, DE, 6-6, 210 — committed to Baylor (1)
- DaRyan Williams, Nacogdoches, S, 5-10,199 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Mississippi State, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Washington State, Wyoming (16)