Houston Offers John Tyler’s Braylon Jones
The third offer is in for John Tyler 2016 defensive tackle Braylon Jones, and it came from Houston, the Lions' standout tweeted late Friday afternoon.
Jones (6-3, 285) is fifth East Texas recruit in the 2016 class to hold at least three Division I FBS offers. He also invitations from Air Force and Navy.
The Lions' big man in the middle was an integral part of a John Tyler defensive line that was among the best in all of East Texas in 2014. Jones finished his junior season with 88 tackles, 13 for loss, and seven sacks in helping the Lions reach the Class 5A Division I state semifinals.
Jones enjoyed a breakout sophomore season, finishing with 61 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 2.5 sacks, and a fumble recovery. He was named the ETSN.fm 2013 East Texas Football Super Team Defensive Newcomer of the Year for his efforts.
Houston now has two offers out to 2016 East Texans -- Jones, and Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones, who is among the very prospects in the nation at his position.
The Cougars, who compete in the American Athletic Conference, are coming off an 8-5 campaign that ended with a dramatic comeback win over Pittsburg in the Armed Forces Bowl, which was engineered by former John Tyler quarterback Greg Ward.
Houston will be under new direction in 2015 as former Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman takes over for the departed Tony Levine.
Braylon Jones will be one of a handful of key contributors returning to John Tyler in the fall. He'll be joined on defense by fellow 2016 lineman Pierre Leonard and 2016 safety Bryston Gipson. JT also returns playmakers like 2016 receiver Duntayviun Gross and the 2017 duo of Bryson Smith and Damion Miller to the offensive side of the ball.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 280 – offers from North Texas, Northwestern, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (5)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 285 – offer from North Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (4)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (34)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Houston, Navy (3)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)