Houston Offers Longview’s Haynes King
With 2018 National Signing Day now in the rear-view mirror, the world of college recruiting shifts its focus to the underclassmen.
On Wednesday, Longview sophomore quarterback Haynes King picked up his second Division I FBS scholarship offer in as many days.
King (6-2, 170) was offered by Houston, which was first reported by David Smoak of Smoaky.com.
The Lobos' quarterback received his first offer from Louisiana Tech on Tuesday.
Last season, King's first at quarterback, he passed for 2,106 yards with 25 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He did not take over the Lobos' starting job until Week 5 of the regular season.
As a starter, King helped Longview reel off 10 consecutive victories en route to a 13-2 record and the program's first appearance in the state semifinals since 2010.
King was recently named the ETSN.fm East Texas Football Super Team's Offensive Newcomer of the Year.
Houston completed its first season under head coach Major Applewhite in 2017. The Cougars, members of the American Athletic Conference, were 7-5 overall and 5-3 in conference play last season.
King, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any Division I program that offers him in December of 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (5)
- Khalan Griffin, Chapel Hill, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech (2)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor (2)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offer from Arkansas (1)