Hughes Springs’ Kane Sampson is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week
Kane Sampson put on a show Friday night on both sides of the ball.
The Hughes Springs senior ran five times for 87 yards and a touchdown as part of an offense that ran for 406 yards in a 61-0 District 9-2A Division II rout of Elysian Fields that kept the Mustangs undefeated.
But he had an even greater impact at linebacker.
Sampson recorded seven tackles and picked off two passes, both of which he returned for touchdowns, as part of the Mustangs’ second consecutive shutout of a district foe. For his performance, Sampson is the ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week.
Sampson’s interception return touchdowns covered 98 and 19 yards, respectively. Sampson is part of a defense that has not allowed more than 21 points in a game all season, and that came in a 54-21 season-opening blowout of Clarksville.
Hughes Springs yields 10.4 points per game and has held 6 of 8 opponents to two touchdowns or fewer. Four of those opponents have failed to reach double figures. The Mustangs outscored their last two foes — Linden-Kildare and Elysian Fields — 107-0.
Sampson enters Friday’s game at DeKalb with 40 tackles, a team-leading four interceptions, one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries.
Sampson was 1 of 2 East Texans to score twice on defense this past Friday. Carlisle’s Gustavo Martinez scored on a fumble return and an interception return in the Indians’ 40-7 win against Timpson.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen 2013 Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 8 — Kane Sampson, Sr., LB, Hughes Springs
- Week 7 — Kelshin Neal, Sr., DT, Daingerfield
- Week 6 — Anthony Hadnot, Sr., LB, Newton
- Week 5 — Evan Morris, Sr., LB, Frankston
- Week 4 — Klifton Willis, Sr., S, Tatum
- Week 3 — LaDarrin Anthony, Sr., DL, Kilgore
- Week 2 — Brandon Jones, Soph., S, Nacogdoches
- Week 1 — Klifton Willis, Sr., S, Tatum
- Zero Week — DeAndre Robertson, Sr., LB, Lufkin