Improved Elysian Fields Squad Gets Chance To Make District Statement Versus Arp
DISTRICT 9-3A DIVISION II
Arp Tigers (4-1, 1-0)
Elysian Fields Yellowjackets (5-0, 1-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Jacket Stadium, Elysian Fields
- Arp: Dale Irwin
- Elysian Fields: Scott Ford
- Arp: vs. Beckville, Oct. 7
- Elysian Fields: at Waskom, Oct. 7
- RB Kayce Medlock, Sr., 5-10, 186 (37 carries, 253 yards, 3 TDs; committed to SMU)
- RB/DB Tray Baker, Sr., 5-7, 150 (20 carries, 146 yards, 1 TD)
- RB/DB Demontre Wade, Jr., 6-0, 205 (42 carries, 287 yards, 3 TDs)
- LB Jordan Brantley, Sr., 5-9, 200
- LB/RB Jacobe Hunt, Sr., 5-10, 180
- RB/LB Terry Nance, Sr., 5-9, 175
- WR/DL DeMarvion Overshown, Jr., 6-4, 200 (1 catch, 47 yards)
- QB Tyler Stewart, Sr., 6-2, 175 (59 carries, 397 yards, 7 TDs, 4-of-20 passing, 197 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs)
- OL/DL Mack Stroupe, Sr., 6-1, 215
- WR/DB Dylan Parker, Sr., 6-4, 180 (28 catches, 688 yards, 9 TDs)
- QB/DB Logan Hughes, Sr., 6-2, 195 (70-of-96 passing, 1,396 yards, 14 TDs, 3 INTs, 18 carries, 96 yards, 1 TD)
- LB/RB Tyrone Ratliffe Jr., Soph., 5-11, 165 (40 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 18 carries, 117 yards, 1 TD)
- RB Nathan Johnson, Jr., 6-0, 200 (40 carries, 375 yards, 4 TDs)
- RB Chris Smith, Fr., 5-8, 155 (34 carries, 271 yards, 3 TDs)
- OL/DL Malik Johnson, Jr., 6-3, 275
- OL/DL Cole Stillman, Sr., 5-10, 250
- DL Austin Vallejio, Sr., 5-10, 190 (26 tackles, 7 sacks)
- OL Jade Ashalintubbi, Soph., 6-5, 300
Just the facts
- After the first week of District 9-3A Division II competition, Arp and Elysian Fields are tied for first place alongside Troup. West Rusk had its open date last week.
- Elysian Fields receiver Dylan Parker has the second-most receiving yards in the East Texas region and has the best average at 24.6 yards per catch.
- Yellowjackets quarterback Logan Hughes is the area's sixth-leading passer.
- While Elysian Fields is undefeated, Arp has not lost to has not lost since Week 1.
- The Tigers' loss came to Tatum of Class 4A Division II.
- Elysian Fields' defense has not allowed a single point in the past two games. It now averages 11 points against per game.
- Arp does not have a single runner past 400 yards, including SMU running back commitment Kayce Medlock, but nine ball carries have put up a combined 1,457 yards in five games. That's an average of 291.4 yards per game.
- ETSN.fm predicted in the preseason that Arp would win the district title and Elysian Fields would finish fourth.
- Arp is currently ranked fourth in the ETSN.fm Class 3A Poll. Elysian Fields is the ninth-ranked team.
Key matchup: Arp's defense versus Elysian Fields' passing game.
The Yellowjackets have opened it up this season with quarterback Logan Hughes at the controls and receiver Dylan Parker on the perimeter.
Hughes has 1,396 passing yards in five wins to begin the campaign, and the program is well ahead of pace to match last season's passing total of 2,004 yards in 10 games. That's nice because Elysian Fields relies on its passing game more than most of its regional Class 3A Division II competition.
Parker, who has college football interest from Stephen F. Austin, has a team-best 688 yards on 28 catches. That's an average of 24 yards per reception.
It's easy for Arp to identify the key matchup it needs to win. Stopping it is another matter.
However, the Tigers' coaching staff has a long list of athletes it can rotate in and out of the secondary. Kayce Medlock, an SMU commitment and the ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine's Offensive Most Valuable Player, will probably get some reps up top at free safety.
A good pass rush Friday certainly would help Arp's chances. At 275 pounds and 250 pounds, respectively, Malik Johnson and Cole Stillman pack a punch along the defensive line.
The Tigers' offense can help as well. It's a run-oriented unit that can burn the clock and somewhat limit Elysian Fields' opportunities to score.
Don't be surprised if: Friday's game goes a long way toward determining the District 9-3A Division II champion.
Arp, Elysian Fields and West Rusk built up the most impressive non-district resumes and are beginning to cross paths. West Rusk will face Arp on Oct. 14 and Elysian Fields on Oct. 28.