Iowa State Becomes Seventh Big 12 School To Offer Carthage’s Keaontay Ingram
It's not unfathomable Keontay Ingram will finish his high school football career with college scholarship opportunities from all 10 of the Big 12 Conference schools.
Iowa State joined the junior Carthage running back's list of offers Tuesday, he reported through his personal Twitter account. It's his East Texas-leading 10th offer among 2018 graduates.
Ingram (6-0, 198) now only needs invitations from Kansas State, Texas and West Virginia to finish off the Big 12. There are still more than 12 months until his class' signing day.
The Cyclones program has a lot of work to do to reach the upper tier of its league, but the 2016 season was a step in the right direction.
First-year coach Matt Campbell guided the team to a 3-9 record and enjoyed Big 12 wins against Kansas and Texas Tech in back-to-back weeks toward the end of the year.
Four conference losses were decided by 10 points or less, including games against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The Sooners and Cowboys finished first and tied-for-second, respectively, in the league standings.
Iowa State has not offered any local players in the 2017 class and had zero East Texans on its roster last season, but at least 13 lettermen from Texas at large will be part of its roster this fall.
Ingram finished his junior season as the Offensive MVP of the Class 4A Division I state championship game, which Carthage won. He ran for 2,225 yards and scored 31 times on the ground alone with the aid of a 15-game schedule.
Carthage's championship win was somewhat of a surprise. It finished third in its district -- although only one game back of co-champions Henderson and Kilgore -- and knocked out some steep competition in the postseason.
Henderson, which beat Carthage by a score of 36-28 in the regular season, was one of Carthage's playoff victims.
It's not just Big 12 schools that want Ingram. He also is one-seventh through the Southeastern Conference with early offers from Arkansas and Missouri.
Stephen F. Austin of the FCS ranks rounds out Ingram's current list of interested schools.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Mississippi State (2)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offer from Bowling Green (1)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-0, 215 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU (8)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU (9)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 —offers from Kansas, SMU, Southern Miss, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, UTSA (7)