Jaylon Lane Becomes Most-Recruited East Texas Football Player With Offers from Missouri and Ohio State
[Updated: 7:30 p.m. CDT]
Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane became the single most-recruited East Texas football player Tuesday with a scholarship from Missouri. Then he received an offer later in the day from Ohio State.
The Tigers were the 22nd school to offer the 6-2, 185-pounder the offer gives Lane, who reported the news via Twitter, one more option than Gladewater defensive tackle and Texas A&M commitment Daylon Mack.
The Ohio State opportunity gives Lane a two-school lead.
The corner has offers from 14 schools from major conferences plus a scholarship from independent Notre Dame and several choices in schools that have made headlines in former non-BCS conferences.
Lane now holds five SEC options, three offers from the Pac-12, two scholarships from the Big 12, two choices in the ACC and one Big Ten opportunity.
The corner picked up 12 scholarships last week and had no scholarships until late February.
Missouri played for the SEC Championship last season, just one year removed from a rough 5-7 campaign.
The Tigers are historically known for being an explosive offensive team. They ranked No. 81 in total defense last season but produced the Co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year in defensive lineman and future NFLer Michael Sam.
Lane could help Missouri defend against a new trend of pass-heavy offenses. Namely Texas A&M — Missouri’s permanent cross-divisional opponent — and national championship runner-up Auburn which the Missouri Tigers ran against in the SEC title game.
Ohio State ranked No. 41 in total defense on the way to the Big Ten Championship Game and an appearance in the Orange Bowl as the league’s runner-up.
The Buckeyes also have a standing offer to Mack while the Tigers have an offer out for Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd.
While Lane has seen his stock rise across the college football landscape, only three in-state schools have reached out to him. Those schools are Houston, Texas A&M and Texas State.
Lane is a tall, physical cornerback who could translate into a safety at the next level. He spent the last two seasons at Central High School in San Angelo before transferring back to his native Nacogdoches a few months ago.
As a junior, Lane had five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns, which included a 108-yarder for a touchdown. He will join forces with Dragons 2016 safety Brandon Jones to comprise what figures to be among East Texas’ best secondaries this fall.
Jones, who had a breakout sophomore season with 95 tackles, five interceptions, one defensive touchdowns and two special teams returns for scores, has 11 offers himself. He and Lane share common offers from LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Washington State.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Boise State, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Texas State, Utah State, Washington State (23)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)