John Tyler Defensive End Jassavia Reese Picks Up New Mexico State Offer
New Mexico State is back for another play in East Texas.
The Aggies are going after one of the region's most physically imposing defensive ends, John Tyler's Jassavia Reese. He just wrapped up his high school playing career Saturday in a Class 5A Division I state semifinal loss to Aledo.
Lions head coach Ricklan Holmes announced the offer via his personal Twitter account. It's the end's first FBS offer.
Reese (6-4, 227) finished his senior season with more than 50 tackles. He also recorded four tackles for loss as well as a team second-best six sacks.
Prior to the season, Reese ranked No. 1 among defensive linemen in composite testing score at the ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine at the APEC training facility in Tyler.
The end is very quick and agile for his position. He ran a laser-timed, 40-yard dash in 4.78 seconds and beat the next closest defensive lineman by about a full second in the ladder drill with a 13.09 time.
Strength wise, Reese dominated the Keiser squat with a combine-best 3,596 wattage output. The next closest defensive lineman, Longview's Stacy Polk, hit 2,996 watts. He also recorded eight reps of 225 pounds on the bench press for a three-way tie for ninth place among all 114 players invited to the combine.
New Mexico State, located in Las Cruces, N.M., is a 780-mile drive due west of Tyler on Interstate 20 and subsequently Interstate 10 after the two highways merge near Kent, Texas.
The Aggies wrapped up the 2014 season with a 2-10 record, but they were competitive in most of their Sun Belt Conference games and narrowly fell to chief rival New Mexico 38-35.
If Reese signs with New Mexico State, he could travel to Gainesville, Fla., with the team for a game against Florida in the 2015 season-opener. The squad also has non-conference games with Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss., Boston College in Boston, New Mexico and UTEP in the next calendar year.
The program additionally is recruiting Tatum athlete Chaston Brooks and has a standing offer out for Lufkin offensive lineman and Texas A&M commitment Erik McCoy.
Back on the John Tyler front, the defensive end joins quarterback Geovari McCollister, receivers Nick Cain and Rodney Bendy as well as cornerback Ike Warren as seniors with college football scholarships. Those players are committed to Central Arkansas, Louisiana-Monroe, North Texas and Purdue, respectively.
Junior defensive tackle Braylon Jones has offers from Air Force and Navy. Sophomore receiver Damion Miller picked up a football scholarship opportunity from Texas Tech last week.
Reese can sign with New Mexico State or any other college that offers him a scholarship on Feb. 4, 2015.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-11, 165 – committed to Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Chaston Brooks, ATH, Tatum, 6-0, 183 -- offer from New Mexico State (1)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — committed to ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa (5)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 230 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-0, 178 – committed to ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-3, 175 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – committed to TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – committed to UTSA (1)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 6-0, 177 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (38)
- Blake Lynch, ATH, Gilmer, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 330 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (8)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – committed to North Texas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Chett Munden, OL, Marshall, 6-6, 303 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jassavia Reese, DE, John Tyler, 6-4, 227 -- offer from New Mexico State (1)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-2, 178 — offers from Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Chris Spikes, WR, Jasper, 6-3, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-3, 211 – committed to Tulsa; additional offers from Navy, New Mexico, Rice, Toledo, ULM (6)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Isaac Warren, DB, John Tyler, 6-1, 189 — committed to Purdue; additional offers from Arizona State, UTEP (3)
- Broderick Washington, OL/DL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-6, 274 — offer from SMU (1)