John Tyler’s Isaac Warren Receives Offer From New Mexico State
Late January provides an interesting shift in attention for college football coaching staffs and their fans alike.
It's not so much about the nationally prominent, blue chip prospects this late in the game. While a handful of those guys are still uncommitted, teams are scrambling to fill their rosters with the best players available at positions viewed as potential weak points in the future if they remain status quo.
John Tyler senior cornerback Isaac "Ike" Warren is still on the board after decommitting from Purdue in December. Since then, a handful of schools have been in contact with the 6-1, 187-pound prospect.
One of those schools is New Mexico State, a program that can hang its regional hat on John Tyler defensive end Jassavia Reese's commitment Saturday.
New Mexico State offered Warren on Thursday, according to the defensive back's announcement on Twitter. It's his 11th offer.
The Aggies join Arizona State, Purdue, SMU and UTEP as FBS schools in on the chase.
In addition to Warren and Reese, New Mexico State also has standing offers out for Tatum athlete Chaston Brooks and Lufkin offensive lineman Erik McCoy. Brooks is committed to Lamar and McCoy seems squared away to sign with Texas A&M.
Warren helped guide John Tyler to a Class 5A Division I state semifinal appearance before the team bowed out to eventual state champion Aledo. He's an extremely physical corner, and most teams opted to avoid the area of the field he was patrolling.
A big selling point is the caliber of receivers Warren faced on John Tyler's practice field. Rodney Bendy is expected to sign with North Texas, Nick Cain with Louisiana-Monroe and sophomore Damion Miller already has an offer from Texas Tech.
Warren also has the size and skillset to convert to a collegiate safety if his future coaching staff deems a move necessary.
New Mexico State, located in Las Cruces, N.M., is a 780-mile drive due west of Tyler on Interstate 20 and subsequently Interstate 10 after the two highways merge near Kent, Texas.
The Aggies wrapped up the 2014 season with a 2-10 record, but they were competitive in most of their Sun Belt Conference games and narrowly fell to chief rival New Mexico, 38-35.
If Warren signs with the program, he could travel to Gainesville, Fla., with the team for a game against Florida in the 2015 season-opener. The squad also has non-conference games with Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss., Boston College in Boston, New Mexico and UTEP in the next calendar year.
Warren is one of 33 senior East Texas football players with at least one FBS offer.
Like all seniors nationally, he will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 4.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-11, 165 – committed to Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Chaston Brooks, ATH, Tatum, 6-0, 183 – offer from New Mexico State (1)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — committed to ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, Tulsa (5)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 230 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-0, 178 – committed to ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-3, 175 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – committed to TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – committed to UTSA (1)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 6-0, 177 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (38)
- Blake Lynch, ATH, Gilmer, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 330 -- offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (8)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – committed to ULM; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Chett Munden, OL, Marshall, 6-6, 303 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jassavia Reese, DE, John Tyler, 6-4, 227 -- committed to New Mexico State (1)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-2, 178 — offers from Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Chris Spikes, WR, Jasper, 6-3, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-3, 211 – committed to Tulsa; additional offers from Navy, New Mexico, Rice, Toledo, ULM (6)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Isaac Warren, CB/S, John Tyler, 6-1, 189 — offers from Arizona State, New Mexico State, Purdue, SMU, UTEP (5)
- Broderick Washington, OL/DL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-6, 274 — offer from SMU (1)