Kansas Latest School to Offer Nacogdoches’ Josh Thompson
It's been an eventful week to say the least for Nacogdoches junior defensive back Josh Thompson.
On Sunday, the Dragons' CB took home Defensive MVP honors at the fourth annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine. In the three days since, Thompson (6-0, 182) has added five Division I FBS offers.
Thompson earned his fifth scholarship opportunity of the week Wednesday, announced via Twitter an offer from Kansas, which brings his total number of FBS offers to an East Texas-leading 19.
Following the spectacular combine performance, Thompson has picked up offers from Houston, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas State, and Kansas.
The Jayhawks have targeted four other East Texans in the 2017 recruiting class -- Bishop Gorman WR Judah Bell, Henderson WR Trestan Ebner, and Hooks ATH Montrell Estell and John Tyler WR Damion Miller -- both Texas commits.
Kansas is set to begin its second season under head coach David Beaty. It was a struggle in year one, as the Jayhawks finished 2015 with an 0-12 record. Kansas has not reached a bowl game since 2008.
Thompson stole the show among defenders last Sunday at APEC. He blazed a laser-timed 4.48-second 40-yard dash (third-best overall), bench pressed 15 reps at 185 pounds (first overall), had a combine-best 124-inch broad jump, and finished first overall with a 36-inch vertical jump.
Last season, Thompson recorded nine pass breakups, intercepted a pass and recorded 33 tackles through Nacogdoches’ 10 games. He also caught 10 passes for 152 yards as a receiver.
Nacogodches finished its year in a three-team tie for the fourth and final spot out of District 16-5A with Lindale and Corsicana. Lindale advanced to the playoffs by nature of its head-to-head point differential against Nacogdoches and Corsicana.
Thompson, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Texas A&M, Tulsa (17)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, ULM (2)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (11)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-2, 175 — offer from Memphis (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offer from Air Force (1)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (19)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)