Kris Anderson + Levi Yancy of State-Champion White Oak Earn TABC All-State Recognition
A total of 13 East Texans were selected to the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches all-state team on Tuesday.
And back-to-back state champion White Oak was represented by two of its seniors — 5-7 guard Kris Anderson and 6-7 forward Levi Yancy. Anderson hit the game-winning shot in the Roughnecks’ 56-54 win over Brock in the Class 2A state final last Saturday. He went on to be named state tournament MVP, while Yancy was an all-tournament team member.
East Texas’ other 2A all-stater is Tatum senior Javolick Garrett, who helped lead the Eagles to the Region III championship game.
Pleasant Grove 6-8 forward Dustin Thomas, a Colorado signee, was named to the 3A all-state team.
Five players were honored in Class A Division I, including San Augustine senior guard Bobby Tanner, who propelled the Wolves to their second state tournament appearance.
Also honored in 1A Div. I were Cayuga senior guard Preston Anderson, Martinsville senior guard Hunter Holder, LaPoynor senior guard Deon Johnson and Grapeland junior guard Patrick Walker.
The three East Texas representatives from Class A Division II all came from the same district. Senior Reed Westbrook, who led Douglass to a berth in the 1A Div. II state championship game, joined Oakwood junior Damiyne Durham and Chireno senior Chase Higgenbotham.
Texas Association of Basketball Coaches
Boys All-State Team
- F Dustin Thomas, 6-8, Sr., Pleasant Grove
- G Kris Anderson, 5-7, Sr., White Oak
- G Javolick Garrett, 6-1, Sr., Tatum
- F Levi Yancy, 6-7, Sr., White Oak
CLASS A DIVISION I
- G Preston Anderson, 6-7, Sr., Cayuga
- G Hunter Holder, 6-3, Sr., Martinsville
- G Deon Johnson, 5-2, Sr., LaPoynor
- G Bobby Tanner, 5-11, Sr., San Augustine
- G Patrick Walker, 6-1, Jr., Grapeland
CLASS A DIVISION II
- G Damiyne Durham, 6-4, Jr., Oakwood
- F Chase Higgenbotham, 6-2, Sr., Chireno
- G Reed Westbrook, 6-1, Sr., Douglass