Liberty-Eylau Defender Andre Wiley Jr. Picks Up Offer From Wyoming
Here's a new one for the East Texas college football scholarship holders' field.
Liberty-Eylau senior defensive back Andre Wiley Jr. told ETSN.fm he picked up an offer from Wyoming on Friday. He's the first regional player to hear from the school in four recruiting cycles.
The Cowboys' offer marked Wiley's sixth invitation from an FBS school. Wyoming joins Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy and Texas State in the mix.
Wiley (5-10, 170), who helped guide Liberty-Eylau to the Class 4A Division I state quarterfinals last season, also holds three Division I FCS choices in Central Arkansas, Mississippi Valley State and Stephen F. Austin.
Located in Laramie, Wyo., the Cowboys have experienced an up-and-down history through their 121 years of competition.
Wyoming has enjoyed five 10-win seasons and 13 bowl game appearances. But it has not had a winning season since 2011.
The program made a big hire at the end of 2013, however. It landed head coach Craig Bohl in the midst of his run to a third-consecutive FCS national championship at North Dakota State.
Bohl guided the Cowboys to a 4-8 record last season.
With six games televised nationally and the remaining six airing on regional cable networks, the team did score a victory against FCS powerhouse Montana State and signature league wins against Air Force and Fresno State.
Two losses came on the road against Oregon and Michigan State. Both opponents finished their years ranked by the Associated Press as top five teams.
Wyoming won't be backing away from high-level competition any time soon. If Wiley chooses to sign with the program, he will have the opportunity to square off against Iowa, Missouri, Oregon, Texas Tech and Washington State during his career in addition to Mountain West competition.
Bohl's 2015 roster will feature three Texans. One of which is 2012 Pleasant Grove graduate Lucas Wacha, a redshirt junior starting linebacker.
Wiley is not the only Liberty-Eylau player with realistic college football dreams. Senior quarterback Ke'Mon Freeman, receiver and defensive back Thurman Morbley as well as junior defensive end Lagaryonn Carson all hold Division I offers of their own.
Senior high school football prospects will become eligible to sign with any program that offers them on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offers from Arkansas State, Purdue, Texas State, ULM (4)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 —offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Washington (5)
- Jarrod McLin, DE, Carthage, 6-4, 212 – offers from ULL, UTSA (2)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (6)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Jordan Morales, DL, Tyler Bishop Gorman, 6-3, 275 -- offer from UTEP (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (11)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 5-10, 180 — committed to Nebraska; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Jeremy West, OL/DL, Chapel Hill, 6-2, 297 — offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy, Texas State, Wyoming (6)