Liberty-Eylau Linebacker Andre Wiley Jr. Picks Up Arkansas State Offer
There's a new East Texan on the college football recruiting radar.
It's Liberty-Eylau's Andre Wiley Jr., a multifaceted defender for the Leopards.
Network Athletics reported to ETSN.fm on Saturday that Arkansas State offered the junior prospect. It's Wiley's second offer, preceded by a scholarship opportunity from Louisiana Tech earlier in the week.
Wiley brings a lot in his 5-foot-10, 170-pound frame. He has been utilized by Liberty-Eylau as both an outside linebacker and a safety.
The prospect has first-class speed and delivered enough hard hits to make a six-minute highlight video available for fans and colleges alike.
Liberty-Eylau was the district champion of 7-4A Division I last season with a 4-1 record and advanced to the regional championship game before falling to eventual state runner-up Argyle by three points. Argyle lost in double overtime to Navasota two weeks later in the title match.
Wiley and company sharpened their teeth against 4A Division I state champion Gilmer in their opening game of the 2014 campaign in addition to other tough meetings against Atlanta, Tatum and Arkansas High School from just across the border in non-district.
Arkansas State, located in Jonesboro, Ark., is about a four-hour drive from Wiley's home in Texarkana.
The program has performed at a solid level in recent years, especially considering the coaching turmoil the university has endured. Mississippi's Hugh Freeze, Auburn's Gus Malzahn and Boise State's Bryan Harsin all served as the Red Wolves' head coach within the past four years.
Arkansas State finally has a bit of coaching continuity. With a $700,000 buyout clause, Blake Anderson will return as the team's head for a second year.
Anderson, a former Baylor and Sam Houston State quarterback, guided the Red Wolves to a GoDaddy Bowl appearance in his first season and finished the inaugural year with a 7-6 record. The team finished the regular season in a three-way tie for third place in the Sun Belt Conference.
Louisiana Tech, coached by Skip Holtz since 2013, finished last season with Conference USA's West Division title and roughed up Illinois in the Heart of Dallas Bowl for a 9-5 record.
Wiley will become eligible to sign with any team that offers him in February.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (19)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (19)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (36)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offer from Kansas (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 -- offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech (2)