Liberty-Eylau’s Andre Wiley Commits To Arkansas State
Liberty-Eylau linebacker/defensive back hybrid Andre Wiley Jr. has decided on which college he plans to attend next fall.
Wiley announced via Twitter on Friday that he has committed to Arkansas State, one of the two Division I FBS schools that have offered him. Louisiana Tech was the other FBS suitor for the 2016 prospect.
With the commitment, Wiley (5-10, 170) became the fifth player in East Texas' 2016 recruiting cycle to pledge. He joins Mineola's Austin and Riley Anderson (Texas A&M), Gilmer's Demarco Boyd (Texas), and Athens' Travon Fuller (Texas A&M).
All of Wiley’s offers, including several from the FCS ranks, have arrived since March 14. They come on the heels of an impressive 2014 season in which Liberty-Eylau advanced all the way to the Class 4A Division I Region II championship game before a three-point loss to Argyle.
Navasota defeated Argyle in double overtime to win the state championship.
Liberty-Eylau could be in store for another strong season. Six players from to school, including Wiley, have accepted invitations to the ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine presented by Azalea Orthopedic on May 10 in Tyler.
As of Friday afternoon, 123 area prospects have confirmed they will attend the invitation-only event.
Arkansas State competes in the Sun Belt Conference. The Red Wolves, coached by Blake Anderson, went 7-6 overall and 5-3 in league play last season. Arkansas State's 2014 campaign concluded with a 63-44 loss to Toledo in the GoDaddy Bowl on Jan. 4.
Wiley's commitment, like all high school recruits, is non-binding. The first day 2016 prospects can sign with the program of their choosing is Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (9)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas (2)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – committed to Arkansas State; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)