Liberty-Eylau’s Ke’Mon Freeman Picks Up Offer From North Texas
The recruitment of Liberty-Eylau's Ke'Mon Freeman has picked up steadily during the spring evaluation period, and on Thursday, the Leopards' 2016 quarterback/athlete received his second Division I FBS offer.
According to Freeman and the L-E coaching staff, the promising prospect picked up an offer from North Texas. He was previously given a scholarship opportunity by Arkansas State.
The Freeman offer is the fourth given out by the Mean Green to an East Texas athlete in the 2016 class. UNT has also offered Mineola's Austin and Riley Anderson -- both Texas A&M commits -- and Frankston receiver Kendrick Rogers.
North Texas has been incredibly active with its recruiting efforts in the East Texas region over the years, especially in recent cycles.
The Mean Green signed four players from the region in 2014 -- Pine Tree quarterback Caleb Chumley, Carthage receivers Terian "Tee" Goree and O'Keeron Rutherford, Sulphur Springs running back Willy Ivery and Elkhart running back Jeffery Wilson.
If that weren't enough, UNT added three more East Texans in February of this year: John Tyler receiver Rodney Bendy, Whitehouse defensive back Nate Brooks, and Marshall offensive lineman Chett Munden.
North Texas is coached by Dan McCarney, who will be entering his fifth season on the sidelines in Denton. After qualifying for a bowl game for the first time since 2004 following the 2013 season, UNT struggled to a 4-8 overall finish last year, which included a 2-6 performance in Conference USA.
Freeman was one of six Liberty-Eylau athletes that competed at last Sunday's third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler. Freeman, who's being recruited on either side of the ball, worked out with the quarterbacks and clocked a laser-timed 4.81 40-yard dash, put up 17 bench reps of 185 pounds, and recorded a broad jump of 9 feet, 5 1/2 inches.
Last season, Freeman was instrumental in helping Liberty-Eylau advance to the state-quarterfinal round of the playoffs for the first time since the Leopards' state championship season of 2006.
As a junior, Freeman passed for 1,552 yards and 16 touchdowns, while rushing for 1,267 yards and 13 additional scores in aiding L-E's deep playoff run, which ended with a 42-39 loss to eventual Class 4A Division I state runner-up Argyle.
With several key impact players returning this fall, Liberty-Eylau figures to be a team to watch in 2015. In addition to Freeman, the Leopards will welcome back running back Lamont Byrd, receiver Thurman Morbley, blue-chip defensive end Lagaryonn Carson, linebacker DeMarcus Pegue, and FBS target Andre Wiley Jr. at outside linebacker/safety.
Class of 2016 prospects will become eligible to sign National Letters of Intent on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Ke'Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 -- offers from Arkansas State, North Texas (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (9)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas State (4)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – committed to Arkansas State; additional offers from Louisiana Tech, Navy (3)