Liberty-Eylau’s Ke’Mon Freeman Picks Up SMU Offer
Liberty-Eylau's recruiting profile got a bit bigger Wednesday with SMU inviting rising senior athlete Ke'Mon Freeman to join its program after graduation.
Freeman, who holds other offers from Arkansas State and North Texas, announced the news through his personal Twitter account.
The Mustangs' invitation is his third FBS opportunity while Liberty-Eylau's collective pool of three identified prospects moved to 12 FBS opportunities.
SMU's latest target helped guide Liberty-Eylau to the Class 4A Division I state quarterfinals last season, primarily from the quarterback position. He passed for 1,552 yards and 16 touchdowns while running for 1,267 yards and 13 additional scores.
Freeman (5-11, 188) was one of six Liberty-Eylau athletes to compete at the third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler earlier this month. The athlete, who is being projected at different positions by different colleges, worked out with the quarterbacks and clocked a laser-timed 4.81 40-yard dash, put up 17 bench reps of 185 pounds and recorded a broad jump of 9 feet, 5 1/2 inches.
The Mustangs are at the beginning stages of a rebuilding project following a 1-11 record last season, but the recent reports from University Park have been extremely positive.
Chad Morris, formerly a very successful high school coach, took over the program in December after five seasons as a college offensive coordinator. He spent the past four years at Clemson.
Morris has strong East Texas roots. He attended Edgewood High School, and his first head coaching jobs were at Eustace and Elysian Fields.
SMU's head man went on to serve at Bay City, Stephenville and Lake Travis. He guided Lake Travis to undefeated state championships in 2008 and 2009 before jumping to the collegiate ranks.
The prior Mustangs staff only targeted three players out of 33 East Texas prospects with at least one FBS offer. Morris' new staff did not persuade any local players into a signing day switch.
However, Waskom athlete Kevin Johnson signed with the program earlier this month as a late addition.
SMU currently has five offers out for East Texas seniors and extended a sixth to Liberty-Eylau rising junior defensive end Lagaryonn Carson.
Liberty-Eylau rising senior defensive back Andre Wiley Jr. currently holds five FBS college football offers to round out the school's present profile. He has not been invited to SMU.
Freeman, like all 2016 football prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offer from Purdue (1)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 —offer from Texas State (1)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (3)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (10)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy (4)