Longview Faces Rowlett in Opening Round for Second Consecutive Season
Class 5A Division II Region II
Rowlett Eagles (4-6)
Longview Lobos (9-1)
4 p.m. Saturday
John Kincaide Stadium, Dallas
- Rowlett: Doug Stephens
- Longview: John King
- Rowlett: won 40-32 vs. Garland Lakeview Centennial
- Longview: won 41-7 at Rockwall
- Winner faces Richardson Pearce (5-5) or McKinney Boyd (6-4) in a 5A Division II Region II area playoff.
- QB Logan Bonner, Soph. (188 of 323, 2,164 yards, 20 TDs, 12 INTs; 135 carries, 465 yards, 8 TDs)
- DT Cedric Johnson, Sr., 6-2, 280
- WR Tyler Hogan, Sr. (70 catches, 856 yards, 11 TDs)
- RB Anthony Wagner, Sr. (139 carries, 607 yards, 5 TDs)
- WR Andrew Harrison, Sr. (42 catches, 577 yards, 4 TDs)
- WR Darius Taylor, Sr. (25 catches, 325 yards, 1 TD)
- WR James Motes, Sr. (19 catches, 231 yards, 4 TDs)
- DB Newton Ananti, Sr., 6-1, 188
- DT Zaycoven Henderson, Sr., 6-1, 300 (19 tackles, 7 for loss, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 1 def. TD)
- S Travin Howard, Sr., 6-0, 178 (65 tackles, 7 for loss, 1 sack, 5 INTs, 3 forced fumbles, 1 punt block, 7 PBUs, 2 def. TDs; 17.3 yards per punt return, 2 punt return TDs)
- S Stephan Maxey, Sr., 5-11, 186 (75 tackles, 2 INTs, 1 fumble recovery, 1 punt block, 1 def. TD)
- S Laurent Johnson, Sr., 5-8, 160 (81 tackles, 3 INTs, 1 fumble recovery)
- RB JaMycal Hasty, Sr., 5-9, 181 (123 carries, 979 yards, 10 TDs)
- QB Dezmond Chumley, Jr., 6-0, 188 (90 of 157, 1,680 yards, 25 TDs, 4 INTs)
- WR Dorian Leonard, Sr., 6-4, 200 (committed to Texas; 28 catches, 527 yards, 8 TDs)
- DE DeRodrick Alexander, Sr., 6-1, 250 (35 tackles, 9 for loss, 6 sacks, 1 fumble recovery)
- DE Decord Flanagan, Sr., 5-10, 200 (36 tackles, 11 for loss, 6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles)
- OG Vernon Hutchinson, Sr., 5-11, 295
- RB L'darrius Peterson, Sr., 5-7, 150 (71 carries, 535 yards, 5 TDs)
Just the facts
- Longview won 27-6 in last year's first-round matchup with Rowlett at Kincaide Stadium.
- Longview has qualified for the playoffs 13 consecutive years.
- Rowlett has qualified for the playoffs nine consecutive years.
- Longview has won seven consecutive first-round playoff games dating to 2006.
- Longview averages 43.3. points per game and allows 19.5.
- Rowlett averages 28.8 points per game and allows 31.4.
- Longview has won nine consecutive games by an average victory margin of
- Eight of Longview's nine wins have come by at least two touchdowns.
- A win against Rowlett gives Longview its ninth 10-win season in the last 12 years.
- Longview senior defensive tackle Zaycoven Henderson, who holds about 20 offers and was previously committed to TCU, recently said on Twitter that his top three schools in no particular order are Baylor, Texas, and Texas Tech.
- Longview senior safeties Travin Howard and Stephan Maxey each have an offer from UTSA after the Roadrunners offered Howard on Nov. 7.
- Longview junior tailback JaMycal Hasty holds offers from Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.
- Rockwall senior defensive tackle Cedric Johnson holds offers from Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.
- These teams have three common opponents: North Mesquite, Rockwall, and Rockwall-Heath.
- Longview went 3-0 against those teams, winning 37-22 at North Mesquite, 41-7 at Rockwall, and 42-10 at Rockwall-Heath.
- Rowlett went 0-3 against those teams, losing 36-27 at North Mesquite, 66-34 vs. Rockwall, and 28-13 vs. Rockwall-Heath.
Did you know? Longview won its ninth district championship in 10 seasons. ... After a 1-5 start, Rowlett won three of its last four games to qualify for the playoffs. ... Last week's Rowlett vs. Garland Lakeview Centennial game was a win-and-in situation for both teams in regards to the playoffs. ... Longview's Zaycoven Henderson and Rowlett's Cedric Johnson are both consensus state top 100 recruits as defensive tackles.