Louisiana-Lafayette Gives West Rusk’s Tyree Wilson First Offer
Tyree Wilson makes eight junior East Texans with NCAA Division I FBS scholarship opportunities.
Louisiana-Lafayette offered the big West Rusk linebacker Tuesday and was the first school to do so. Wilson (6-5, 225) announced the news through his personal Twitter account.
ULL now has two local prospects on its 2018 recruiting board. It extended an invitation Saturday to Pleasant Grove linebacker Xavier Benson.
Wilson was a force on West Rusk’s Class 3A Division II bi-district team last season. He made 68 solo tackles, including 13 for loss, and assisted six other tackles in 11 games as part of a linebacking corps that cannibalized each other’s stats.
Senior linebacker Jacob Waller led the team with 136 total tackles.
In addition to 74 total tackles, Wilson forced two fumbles and returned one interception 34 yards for a touchdown.
Wilson also started as a sophomore on West Rusk’s regional championship game team alongside a junior Waller and senior Joe Wright at the other linebacker spots. Wright was the East Texas leader in tackles that season and moved on to Hardin Simmons University after graduation.
The Ragin’ Cajuns program missed out on landing a local recruit earlier this month on National Signing Day, but it did land signatures from Newton linebacker Tanner Holmes and Jasper tight end Cody Mitchell in 2015.
ULL has been a dominant Sunbelt Conference team under head coach Mark Hudspeth, although Hudspeth’s record has been tarnished by vacated wins for NCAA rules violations.
Hudspeth took the Ragin’ Cajuns to four New Orleans Bowls in his first four seasons and won each appearance. Unfortunately, two of those wins were later forfeited.
The program dropped back in 2015, but it managed another New Orleans Bowl appearance this past season with a 6-6 regular season record. It lost by a touchdown to Southern Miss in the bowl game.
ULL claims 13 conference titles and has been home to four consensus All-Americans through its 114-year history.
Wilson, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February of 2018.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Mississippi State (2)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Bowling Green, Iowa State (2)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offer from ULL (1)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-0, 215 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Baylor, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, UTSA (19)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Kansas, LSU, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, UTSA (19)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — offer from ULL(1)