Louisiana Tech Gives Offer To Frankston’s Kendrick Rogers
It had been nearly 10 full months since Kendrick Rogers picked up an offer. We'll see what happens now that Louisiana Tech is on board.
The Bulldogs offered Frankston's standout receiver Saturday, according to Indians head coach Matt Nally's announcement via Twitter. It's Rogers' third scholarship opportunity behind offers from North Texas and SMU last spring.
Rogers, Nally and fellow Frankston receiver Justice Bean attended Louisiana Tech's junior day in Ruston, La., Saturday.
With the offer to Rogers, Louisiana Tech is now on the chase for six East Texas juniors. The other players with offers from the university are Mineola offensive tackles Austin Anderson and Riley Anderson, Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones, Lufkin defensive end Bronson Massie and Liberty-Eylau linebacker Andre Wiley Jr.
Frankston put up some serious numbers in the passing game last season with senior quarterback Ozzie Buckner.
Rogers (6-4, 185) ranked fifth in East Texas with 57 receptions and caught for a region fifth-best 1,045 yards. Bean, who currently has no offers, caught 56 passes for an area third-best 1,095 yards.
Frankston only played 10 games last season. It did not qualify for the playoffs out of a District 8-3A Division II headlined by state champion Waskom.
Louisiana Tech has some recruiting momentum. It made an appearance in Conference USA's championship game last season after winning the West Division and then finished the year with a convincing victory against Illinois in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
The program is led by Skip Holtz. Most of his head coaching success has come in Conference USA.
Holtz coached East Carolina from 2005 through 2009, enjoyed a 28-12 league record and guided the team to bowl games in his final four seasons. East Carolina moved to the American Athletic Conference after the 2013 season.
Louisiana Tech hired Holtz just a few days after South Florida let him go. He left South Florida with a 16-21 record from 2010 through 2012.
Holtz increased the Bulldogs' win total from four games in his first year to nine victories last season.
The program is slated to take on Kansas State and Mississippi State for its premiere non-conference games this season. Both games are on the road.
Rogers will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in February.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (19)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (19)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (36)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offer from Kansas (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 -- offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech (2)