LSU Gives Nacogdoches’ Brandon Jones His Eighth Offer
LSU is back at it in East Texas.
The Tigers offered a scholarship to Nacogdoches’ Brandon Jones on Thursday. It’s the current sophomore’s eighth college football opportunity with nearly two years to go before the safety can sign the dotted line.
LSU joins SEC rivals Mississippi and Texas A&M in the chase. The Nacogdoches product also has an offer from defending national champion Florida State as well as opportunities with Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech in the Big 12.
Texas A&M was the first school to offer, all the way back on Oct. 30 of last year.
The Tigers don’t need much of an introduction with a national championship and another title game appearance under head coach Les Miles.
LSU had the nation’s No. 8 defense last season, allowing less than 308 yards per game. It also ranked 13th in total pass defense on the way to an Outback Bowl win and a 10-3 record.
The Tigers have sent other standing offers to Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning, Newton defensive back Roney Elam, Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor in the 2015 class. Dunning, Mack and Pryor are committed to Texas A&M.
Jones, who helped Nacogdoches to the playoffs last season for the first time since 2006 with 95 tackles, five picks and three touchdowns, will play in the Dragons’ defensive backfield with another Division I caliber player, rising senior Jaylon Lane.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Boise State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi, Oklahoma State, South Alabama (6)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Brandon Jones, FS, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 180 — Offers from Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)