Lufkin Rides Four-Game Winning Streak into First-Round Playoff Against Humble Atascocita
Class 5A Division II Region II
Lufkin Panthers (5-5)
Humble Atascocita Eagles (9-1)
2 p.m. Saturday
Morehead Stadium, Conroe
- Lufkin: Todd Quick
- Atascocita: Craig Stump
- Lufkin: won 42-14 at Conroe
- Atascocita: won 31-28 at Klein Collins
- Winner faces Lake Travis (8-1) or Round Rock Westwood (4-6) in a 5A Division II Region II area playoff.
- QB Trey Cumbie, Jr., 6-1, 187
- RB Steven Sowell, Jr.
- WR KeKe Coutee, Jr., 5-10, 160 (committed to Texas)
- WR Terry Mark, Jr., 6-0, 180
- DT D.J. Williams, Sr., 6-4, 293
- CB Jamarion Houston, Sr.
- S Michael Farley, Sr., 6-0, 180
- OT Erik McCoy, Jr., 6-4, 287
- QB Greg Campbell, Sr. (150 of 239, 2,060 yards, 24 TDs, 8 INTs; 142 carries, 940 yards, 11 TDs)
- RB Jemarcus Jones, Sr. (114 carries, 711 yards, 6 TDs)
- WR Taylor Stump, Sr. (47 catches, 804 yards, 12 TDs)
- WR Trey Hamilton, Jr. (24 catches, 295 yards, 1 TD)
- S Jay Edwards, Sr. (3 INTs)
- CB Dominique Harrison, Jr. (2 INTs)
Just the facts
- Lufkin averages 33.9 points per game and allows 28.3.
- Atascocita averages 34.8 points per game and allows 23.3.
- Lufkin has won four consecutive games after a 1-5 start.
- During their four-game winning streak, the Panthers have outscored their opponents 149-57.
- All four wins came by at least 12 points. Lufkin's average victory margin in those games is 23.0 points per game.
- Atascocita has won six consecutive games after a 41-7 Sept. 27 loss at Spring Westfield, the only team that has beaten the Eagles. Westfield is 10-0.
- Atascocita's average victory margin is 12.8 points per game during the Eagles' six-game winning streak.
- Three of the wins came by 11 points or fewer, including 31-29 at Klein Oak (Oct. 10) and 31-28 at Klein Collins (Nov. 7).
- Lufkin and Atascocita have no common opponents from the regular season.
- Lufkin's 10 regular-season foes had a cumulative record of 60-39, including a 42-17 record for the first six teams on the Panthers' schedule that caused their 1-5 start.
- Atascocita's 10 regular-season opponents went a combined 47-53.
- Lufkin junior receiver KeKe Coutee is committed to Texas, but also has offers from Oklahoma and Texas Tech.
- Lufkin senior defensive tackle D.J. Williams holds five offers: Houston, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, and Oklahoma.
- Lufkin junior receiver Terry Mark and junior offensive tackle Erik McCoy each have an offer from Houston.
- Atascocita senior quarterback Greg Campbell, who is being recruited as a receiver/athlete, has offers from Colorado State, ULM, Utah, and UTSA, per Rivals.com.
Did you know? Lufkin senior receiver Jamal Jeffery, who is committed to Texas A&M, is out for the remainder of the season with a fracture in his back, according to the Lufkin Daily News. Jeffery has missed the Panthers' last five games after suffering the injury during practice leading up to their 31-13 loss at The Woodlands on Oct. 12. ... Lufkin has won at least seven games each of the last 16 years dating to 7-3 campaign in 1997. ... Lufkin's 17-year streak of finishing better than .500 is in jeopardy. The Panthers' last sub-.500 season was a 4-6-1 finish in 1995. ... Lufkin is in the postseason for the 16th consecutive season.